1st Ride Impressions On 4rt(u.s.)

tombleds

Got my 4rt last week(Illinois) and had a chance to ride it saturday. the ground was frozen and temps around 28F

sold a 04 Raga replica to get the 4rt

4rt feels heavier for sure- because it is!

starts beautifully and runs the same

I am an advanced level rider in our area with limited hopping ability(Very limited!!)

things seem to happen slowly on this bike right away I felt in control ( I never gelled with my Raga so I sold it-Pretty sure it was just to radical for my ability)

all the normal obstacles I tried I was able to due with ease even though I felt I was going to slow

off cambers were much easier as traction for me was far better then my Raga and where my weight was wasnt as critical

log crossings were easy suspension seems fine even though it is not broken in yet.

engine is the key to this whole bike twist a little bit and go foreward and get traction

my friend who also rode this bike was also able to conquer obstacles easier than with his bike much easier

all in all I am very suprised at how well I like the bike(I was very skeptical that it would result in making things harder)

complaints

footpegs are an embarassment to an otherwise oustanding workmanship- the pegs are slippery and hold mud like an african elephant!! I sharpened them up but they still hold mud aftermarket pegs will sell well this year

front brake doesnt seem to be near as strong as my Raga or other bikes(I will give it some more break in before I change it-it will stop but seems to take a lot more pressure)

1st gear speed is faster than I would like but I will ride more to see if it hinders me

noisier than I would like

Good points

I take every new bike apart before I ride to grease and anti -seize all bearings and bolts (amazingly Montesa did this for me ---well done!!!!)

starts so so easy

throttle control is unmatched

traction is so good that you need to try one to believe

workmanship first rate

after three plus hours I feel better in sections than I did on my raga

As you can tell I am very happy overall and think that in this case the bike will make it easier for me to ride most sections It will not make me Dougie!!

The bikes are a lot of money but after all that is why we work so we can enjoy life and its rewards- what a reward!!

feel free to respond with comments or questions as it has been a pleasure lurking on this board while waiting for my bike to come in

my friend calls the 4rt a "cheater bike"

Thanks

Tom Bledsoe

mine and the other one paynes got are the only ones I know of in Il I got mine through Matt Payne at Paynes cycle in Moline Il. he has another one and he is a great supporter of trials he sells all the brands and goes to each event and also sponsors the youth series

thanks

Edited by tombleds

Hi Tombleds, i had my first try on a 4RT the other week, and must say how easy it is to ride, such a soft smooth power delivery with no mid range suprises, i think it may well be my next bike (was thinking on a 05 Scorpa SY250) after my 03 Montesa.

Also, i changed my foot pegs from stock (as they are simply rubbish) to Hebo's (try them, you won't be dissapointed), and i have also read that people are trying different gearing like one tooth less on the front sprocket or two on the rear.

Gaff.

Edited by Gaff

Rod my new 4RT yesterday for the first time - absolutely stonkingly brilliant - better than I hoped for. have changed to a 43 tooth rear, a 315 clutch master cylinder and Hebo footrests. There's so much time available now in sections - and I'm a Mont man through and through - this is my fifth Mont, four x 315s It was apig to start from cold though. Stroked it to get it to go but though it would fire it wouldn't run, but once it went it was fine - newness I suppose. Dead happy, best Vet in our trial and 2nd overall in clubmen. Looking forward to next Sunday now.

• 3 weeks later...

I am very stoked to read all the positive comments about the 4rt and can hardly wait for the arrival of mine in a week or so. I usually gear my bikes down so 43 sounds the way to go so what will I encounter. Will the chain be too short or will I need to add links, half links or what. Then will I be at end of adjustment. I went through this with my pro and ended up bigger in rear and one tooth smaller in front but ended up pretty low but ok.

Just wondering what the hot setup is withought ending up with longer whell base situation.

Also does 91 pump gas work allright or is AV gas or race blend needed?

If anyone ends up with a 4rt headlight in their bone pile and want to get rid of it let me know--Do a lot of night riding.

Any other "head's up's" are much appreciated for this anxious soon to be 4rt'r.

43 rear required a half link to fit got it from Jim Snell at rising sun imports

If I remember right the extra master link he sent me did not fit the 4rt chain but I had another one a round that did

good luck and have fun I like my bike more and more and am riding better and more controlled than ever

93 or 94 octane premium that I get here works fine even in the deep sand I heard no pinging(I expect electroniics keep that to a minimum

Edited by tombleds

The bike turns tighter than the 315 with the stops off, floaters and front wheel carries are also easier. The traction on slippery and off cambers are much better, especially when you use the engine to break, clutch out and rear break on.

Reworked the clutch master cyl. actuator to get the clutch release where I like it, also has restrictors out with a 45 degree divertor W/ screen, kills a lot of the pop. :)