Rev3 - Change History?

grahamjayzee

Hi All,

I'm going to replace my aging 2001 rev3 with a newer bike. A pending house move is stifling my budget, so I'm going to take a pragmatic view and just stick to what I know works for me and buy a newer rev3. Here's were I need your expertise and indeed, opinions:

What are the changes year on year for the various Rev3 iterations? I'm aiming 2005 or later because I know I prefer the rear brake when it reverted to twin pot from the 4 potter. However, I rode a 2004 bike and found it overly soft.

Can anyone offer a potted history of the significant changes from 05 - 06 - 07 - 08 please? In particular, things like changes to riding position, power delivery (the general 'cut of it's trousers'; is it too clubbie or too expert?) and important reliability issues I need to look for.

If anyone's really kind and well versed; what are the significant differences to a late Rev3 and an early Evo? I'll probably stick with Beta as I've always found they 'fit' me well (I like gassers, but still find the front a bit light. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but the 'old slippers' feel of a Beta always welcomes me home!)

Cheers

Graham

Hi All,

I'm going to replace my aging 2001 rev3 with a newer bike. A pending house move is stifling my budget, so I'm going to take a pragmatic view and just stick to what I know works for me and buy a newer rev3. Here's were I need your expertise and indeed, opinions:

What are the changes year on year for the various Rev3 iterations? I'm aiming 2005 or later because I know I prefer the rear brake when it reverted to twin pot from the 4 potter. However, I rode a 2004 bike and found it overly soft.

Can anyone offer a potted history of the significant changes from 05 - 06 - 07 - 08 please? In particular, things like changes to riding position, power delivery (the general 'cut of it's trousers'; is it too clubbie or too expert?) and important reliability issues I need to look for.

If anyone's really kind and well versed; what are the significant differences to a late Rev3 and an early Evo? I'll probably stick with Beta as I've always found they 'fit' me well (I like gassers, but still find the front a bit light. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but the 'old slippers' feel of a Beta always welcomes me home!)

Cheers

Graham

I had an '06 and an '08. The differences to me riding the bikes were minimal. For whatever reaso, the '06 was easier to balance on. It had quiet a bit more time on it when I got it than the '08 when I got it since the '08 was basically brand new. The '06 had been ridden quiet a bit and the suspension felt more worn in or setteld. Oddly though, right before I sold my '08 I re-jetted it and it became much easier to control so my difficulties in balancing the '08 may have been more atributed to the jetting than the suspension.

The frames changed in '07 but I couldn't tell you what the differences were. I have been told that the '08 did not have magnesium cases and therefore were less prone to deteriorating. I never had any carb problems with either bike like I have read about on this forum. I'm in the US and the importer supposedly did whatever 'fix' was needed before ever shipping bikes to customers.

After having two Betas I have total confidence in the brand and would buy one of their enduro versions over more popular brands based on my experience of reliability and bullet proof quality.

As far as differences from EVO to Rev-3, I know the EVOs are quiet a bit lighter. I heard the '09 EVO 250 was 13 lbs. lighter than an '08 Rev-3. The '11 EVO dropped another pound in the rear wheel alone and probably a little more in other areas. Ride-wise, the '09 EVOs that I have ridden felt lighter, the front ends felt lighter, they are and feel more narrow. The suspension feels more sophisticated in action. '09s were undersprung pretty badly if you weigh more than say 150 lbs.

Either way, great bikes IMO!!!

Thanks Trialsin1, that's really helpful. I have an option on a tidy 06, which looks just the job. I've long since realised it's me, not the bike anyway!

Graham

My '06 was sort of ratty, well worn, etc but I always rode it better than the '08 for some reason..... You're right about the pilot vs bike thing I think. Peg time is more important than the actual bike probably.