Rebuilding An 02 Beta.

craftypiggy

I plan to give my bike a rebuild for the summer and was looking for anything to look out for, anything important to make sure i do etc... I've never rebuilt a bike before, but I do do regular mainteance. I am not sure what type of fluids to clean the frame up with, WD40 something like that? Grease, another big question, what needs greasing, where and what type of grease? I don't know how to get the steering stock off, and where does it need greasing? I plan to put a grease nipple on the headstock, do I do it with the steering stock in or out, and where is the best place to put the nipple? Is it the big nut on the top? Also do I need to threadlock all the nuts, or is there only certain ones that need doing? One last thing the hose from the radiator to the cylinder head, what do I do with that? When I take it off will lots off water come out? Any help would be great, and I know there is alot of questions, but its just I want to be careful.

Lloyd

Edited by craftypiggy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, hello

I probably won't be much help her but i took my head stock apart today and put a grease nipple in since the school bus got stuck. Firstly take off the bars and the front brake calliper. Then take off the top yolk by undoing the bolt in the middle and the two alien bolts, You will then need to unscrew the lockring which holds the bearings in place. Then tap the top of the steerer tube with a rubber mallet and it should all drop out (make sure the fromt end is off the ground and you might want to take the front wheel out before doind this) once that is out you should be able to pop the bearings out top and bottom. To get the cones out use a hammer and one of them round ended chisel things (not pointy) and you shoud find that there are two notches on the inside the headset to tap them out, do the bottom one from the top and the top one from the bottom and visa versa. You will also have to remove the cone from the bottom of the steerer tube, mind out for the washer with an o'ring when doing this, use some heat and a chisel if it is too tight or leave it on. Pack loads of grease in everywhere, I used some high quality waterproof teflon based grease.

I put a grease nipple in half way up the headset to one side thus allowing easy access but ensure it is not in your frame or petrol tank or you will end up filling that with grease!

When you grease just grease most stuff, when steel bolts into alluminium put some grease on there but not copper slip because electrolysis can occur, use some good clean grease or you wil have it all ovr when you have it all to take apart again. If you wanna loctite stuff that is up to you but it can be annoying to get off again, if you regularly check your bolts then you should be ok on most stuff without it.

With the water there is a drain bolt on the water pump housing, i believe there are three bolts holding the outside on then one in the middle which is the drain bolt. Take this out and keep it safe, the have a bucket at the ready and undo to top of the radiator and the water should come pouring out as soon as you crack to top open.

Good luck!

Hope this helps.

bob

Make sure you take out the swinging arm and the shock absorber linkages. These parts here are on bearings and are moving up and down all the time you ride and the grease in them gets washed out by the rain and, particularly, the jet washer. In fact you can't go far wrong with checking every bearing on the chassis. That's the one's I just mentioned, the headstock that you've already mentioned and the wheels.

That should keep you busy :( !

Hey Lloyd,

Seeing this is your first major rebuild it would probably best to attempt one area at a time.

If you start by setting your bike up securely on bike stand ( Mine is 24"high ) this is a good working height to comfortably access most areas with out too much bending or kneeling.

If you start by removing your front wheel to check the wheel bearings.

Once the wheel is out stick your finger through the bearing one side at a time and rotate your finger to see if it is running smooth and free.If you can feel a gritty or grinding sensation it time to replace them.Another way if there is some one handy, is to put a finger through from each side and get friend to rotate wheel with your fingers acting as the axle,again it will be easy to tell if they are due for renewal.

This same proceedure can be used on the rear wheel as well.

With the rear wheel now out,use the swing arms as handle bars and lift up and down to see if there is any free play in your swing arm bushes and also any free play in the shock pivot areas.If you spot any excess movement in any of these points it is a good indication they will need attention.

I use a marine multi-purpose grease on all bearings on my bike and it has worked well for me.

When working on your bike ,set plenty of time aside to do the job properly,so if you do run into a problem there is no rush to put it back together if an unexpected part is required.

Hope this helps a bit.... :(:D

VERY carefully prize up the rubber bearing seal, some people use a pin or a sharp stanley knife blade. Then pack the bearings with grease, you can do this on brand new bearings too as sometimes there isn't much grease in there to start with!

Also grease the axle lightly when reassembling the wheel to stop corrosion and/or seizing.