help identifying a montesa

johnhenry

Evening all

first post, but ill get straight into it,

I have come across a Montesa, 348 (1970) i'm told, for sale; and am interested in buying it as the bike (the 348) is of huge sentimental value to me and the family

Its code is:

51M2325

Now i have done a bit of research and have worked out that '51M' means its a 348/349 Montesa, just wondered what the rest means as i'm stuck

any help would be welcomed

Many thanks

John

Thanks for that,

im guessing its an early 348 then, just not a 1970...ill have a abit of a route around,

another question: its got a more curved body than later models which seem to be very straight around the fuel tank,

i know there we're big tank versions, but these we're later right?

Yeh, i've had a little look at the photos and i'm not sure its as bulbous as a 348T, it doesn't seem like it is.

Its a properly early 348 as from the conversation above

We're the tanks maybe abit more curved during the early years?

also, im starting to read about the joys of petrol slowly dissolving fibreglass fuel tanks, i'm guessing it applies to the cota, and is there anything that can be done to treat it?

Thanks in advance

PS is there any way i can change the title of this thread to just general questions?

That ID number puts it as likely being sold in 1976. All 348 TRIALS models (76 77 78) had the same shape tank and all are red fibreglass. The tanks had detail differences though. One is quite plain, having just the M round badges, another also has "Malcolm Rathmell" insignia moulded into the fibreglass below the seat and the third has gold and black slotted stripes from front to rear moulded into the fibreglass.

In the UK, 348s were sold with aluminium fuel tanks with a fibreglass cover that looks just like the fibreglass tanks on the non-UK bikes.

That ID number puts it as likely being sold in 1976. All 348 TRIALS models (76 77 78) had the same shape tank and all are red fibreglass. The tanks had detail differences though. One is quite plain, having just the M round badges, another also has "Malcolm Rathmell" insignia moulded into the fibreglass below the seat and the third has gold and black slotted stripes from front to rear moulded into the fibreglass.

In the UK, 348s were sold with aluminium fuel tanks with a fibreglass cover that looks just like the fibreglass tanks on the non-UK bikes.

that clears alot up! thank you mate! thank you!

the fuel tank issue, my step dad though that was the case, but its good to hear from another source

its definitely the first tank style of tank of the 3 described. from appearance the 'T' Variant, looks much longer and runs further down the bike than this model

now the final part of the puzzle, trying to find a way of getting it from lancashire to plymouth! or the rents house! haha

also, im starting to read about the joys of petrol slowly dissolving fibreglass fuel tanks, i'm guessing it applies to the cota, and is there anything that can be done to treat it?

Yes, it applies to the Cota. The fix is Caswell Fiberglass Sealer. DON'T go for POR, Kreem, etc. as they do not work as well. The Caswell is specific for the purpose of sealing fiberglass fuel tanks.

Yeh, i've had a little look at the photos and i'm not sure its as bulbous as a 348T

This would be a 78/79 348T (note black and gold "go faster" stripes):

1977_trail_cota_348.gif

The other give away for the "T" model is the footrests are situated lower than they are on the regular model.

Edited by TooFastTim

This would be a 78/79 348T (note black and gold "go faster" stripes):

1977_trail_cota_348.gif

The other give away for the "T" model is the footrests are situated lower than they are on the regular model.

its a normal 348 then! no stripes and the footpegs arent that low! now to find the money for it.

spare wise

In motion seems a good place to go for parts, any other places you guys use, UK based sorry.

Cheers

John

• 3 weeks later...

another issue with ID'ing stuff; evening all

What is the difference between a Malcom Rathmel 348 and a normal 348?

from what i can read and see from other threads its just some different aesthetic bits

there is a 'rathmel edition' bike for sale but the engine and frame do not match

frame is 51m-06**

engine is 51m - 59**

this mean the engines been swapped.

or

has the frame or engine come from a different place so has different numbers?

PS: sorry if this is stupid, i just want to check with the experts!

Cheers

John