gas gas lost first gear

rustybay

Hi there

Just been riding my 1995 jt 350 when i selected first the leaver went down and a grinding sound came from the gearbox.

I have all other gears but first and it still rides with full power.

Any iders on wots wrong?

help needed

regards

wayne

Hi there

Just been riding my 1995 jt 350 when i selected first the leaver went down and a grinding sound came from the gearbox.

I have all other gears but first and it still rides with full power.

Any iders on wots wrong?

help needed

regards

wayne

Don't ride it until you pull the drain plug and check for gear teeth particles. It might be as simple as a bent shift fork or as bad as a broken gear. There could be a problem with the shift mechanism but I would advise not to even start the engine until you find out what's wrong. A broken gear could cause VERY expensive damage.

Jon

Don't ride it until you pull the drain plug and check for gear teeth particles. It might be as simple as a bent shift fork or as bad as a broken gear. There could be a problem with the shift mechanism but I would advise not to even start the engine until you find out what's wrong. A broken gear could cause VERY expensive damage.

Jon

Thanks Jon

Will strip down first thing tomorrow and have a look.

big thanks

wayne

Hi there

Removed clutch and found selector claws worn on one side.

If i move the gear selector it will go into all gears.

Next can i weld this up or do i need a new one.

can i replace it without spliting the engine? ie pull out shaft and no bits in side fall out?

regards

wayne

Hi there

Removed clutch and found selector claws worn on one side.

If i move the gear selector it will go into all gears.

Next can i weld this up or do i need a new one.

can i replace it without spliting the engine? ie pull out shaft and no bits in side fall out?

regards

wayne

Wayne,

I imagine you could have it welded, but I'd also check the mechanism to find out why it wore

on one side. The arm is possibly bent to one side and you will also want to make sure that it

is straight to avoid future wear.

Take the shift lever off and making sure the arm is unlatched from the roller, you will find that it

pulls out easily. If it does not slide out easily, you may have a bent shaft, which may have contributed

to the arm misalignment. Check the shaft to make sure it's not bent and if it is, it might be better

to replace the arm/shaft, which will solve both problems (worn arm/bent shaft).

Jon