Anodising or Powder Coating?

benbeta23

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get the frame done on my evo in black, I have been told loads of different stories e.g.. 'anodising is better because it is etched into the metal rather than powder coating is a thin layer on top' etc.. I'm just wondering if some of you lads can help me out on this one, Which one is better & stronger for a frame to be done in black?

Any replies would be really appreciated,

Cheers,

Ben.

:agreed:

Got to agree with Mr Cope. Unless you're building a show bike then you can guarantee the frame will get scratched or damaged and trying to disguise a blemish on either of your chosen coatings never works very well.

A good paint job will look just as good and any unwanted scuffs and dings that occur can be blended in pretty easily without recoating the whole frame?

Most modern paints and lacquers are pretty hard wearing if thats what you're concerned about and probably a lot cheaper too? Clear adhesive protection applied over the obvious wear spots is also a good idea regardless of what finish you choose as there's not much out there that wont suffer from continuous abuse.

Nice to see some photos when your finished?

Cheers,

GJ :wacko:

Hi, Cheers for your replies, If I did have it done I was planning on protecting all the areas that are most likely to get worn e.g side of the frame where your boots rub & some swingarm protectors as well, I have got some front & back mudguards in black & a new sticker set coming sometime soon, So will put them on & see how it looks, If it looks nice, I won't bother with the frame.

• Dislike 1

I had my frame powder coated black and it lasted the life of the bike, even the areas where my boots rubbed stayed black (it did scratch and dull down) but the rest of the bike stayed bright black.

That has helped me so much,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Edit: Can I ask who did your powder coating for you?

Edited by BenBeta23