Riders beware of conduct

g14gav

Saw this on acu site, sorry if it's been posted before...

Unfortunately, it has been reported that at recent events, some riders have been paying little heed to instructions given to them by Marshals and Officials.

Regulations, Final Instructions and all Briefings and Notices given at an event are of paramount importance if we are to keep motorcycle sport safe and enjoyable for all. Such instructions are not given on a

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it has been reported that at recent events, some riders have been paying little heed to instructions given to them by Marshals and Officials.

Regulations, Final Instructions and all Briefings and Notices given at an event are of paramount importance if we are to keep motorcycle sport safe and enjoyable for all. Such instructions are not given on a

• Like 1

In addition to being part of the ACU regulations, this is something that will be further emphasised in the SSDT Supplementary Regulations this year. It's not something that's being taken lightly...

sad to say , that this abuse happened on two occasions at the ssdt in 2010, by sponsored riders , to members of my observing team . Further to this,the abuse was carried on to the podium and also in comments made by the riders sponsor. I have only been involved with the scottish for 13 years, my team have collectivly 70 years involvement , why do we have to question our involvement? when these morons get away scott free . In my opinion something needs to be done to set an example , to penalise these riders as a warning to stop volunteer officials from saying enough is enough.

If the same happens in 2011 , sadly it will be my last scottish!

• Like 1

• Dislike 1

Hi

I'm a club rider in the North East and just wanted to say that I noticed recently that a rider was excluded from a local club trial for abusive behaviour to an observer. I thought at the time it was well done to the South Shields Club [if I remember rightly] for taking a strong stance and it is SO good to see that correct behaviour towards officials is being taken seriously at a high level.

As to the rider that was excluded, I don't know who he or she was, but I hope they've had the good grace to reflect on their behaviour and, at the very least, seek out the observer concerned and apologize before returning to riding again.

As to the club officials, once again well done [and also thank you for making it possible for me to embarass myself most Sundays].

Best wishes

Will-in-the-mud

• Like 1

Definately well said John Collins. I am attending an ACU meeting tonight, renewing my Clerk of the Course license, and i am sure the subject amongst others close to my heart will crop up. We as a club suffer more than most from a lack of observers and i will not tollerate ANY abuse of a club official. A recent incident occured at another club, not ACU, locally resulting in an observer vowing never to observe again. The person concerned, the abuser, knows who they are and as yet i am not aware of any appology forthcoming.

I do not feel that excluding someone from the results is sufficient penalty, "not in the results? big deal" would probably be the response, there is too much of this "i'll do what i want when and where i want and you aint gonna stop me" attitude in todays society. In my book anybody who abuses an official should be banned from all the Clubs events for a minimum of 12 months and in serious cases their ACU license revoked. their name should also be circulated to all Clubs in the Centre.

Harsh? not at all we need to put a stop to this nefarious attitude immeadiately. We dont want that sort of attitude polluting our sport. If you want to behave like scum go and play football.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Old trials fanatic, I applaud your stance

But question your consistency!

I'd have said go and play golf if you want to behave like scum... Re: Bob Carolgees and Spit!

Kick the rider out of the event ...nay out of the ACU ... Riders are easier to get than officials who sit out in all weathers... very few of the officials want to be 'gods' ... those that do need to be humoured!

Edited by Rosey
  • Like 1

I'd have said go and play golf if you want to behave like scum... Re: Bob Carolgees and Spit!Kick the rider out of the event ...nay out of the ACU ... Riders are easier to get than officials who sit out in all weathers... very few of the officials want to be 'gods' ... those that do need to be humoured!

Nice one Rosey! invoking the spirit of Spit the Dog

Old trials fanatic, I applaud your stance

But question your consistency!

Just to clarify the part about "go and play football".

Where i currently live there is a playing field / test track for Corsa's and scoobys. Every Sunday i cant even get out of my drive, we have a service road running round the back of the houses, after 9.00 am because of cars parked across my gates and blocking the serviuce road. We also have to put up with loud mouthed louts / footballers shouting and screaming obscenities at the ref and each other for the next 5 hours as there are also afternoon matches. Thats not all the field is left like a tip with bottles and cans all over the place just dropped where they were standing.

Thats the kind of yobish behaviour we dont want or need in our sport and it's also the kind of yob culture i see starting to infect areas of our world and was the reason for my statement.

As for the Golf issue i've always thought that Golf Clubs are fantastic institutions as they keep all the dickheads :chairfall: in one place.

Absolutely unacceptable.

If a rider behaves in an un-gentlemanly/un-gentlewomanly fashion they must have their scorecard confiscated (by the offended official) & DNF as a result.

Disqualification should be accepted as the norm if a rider misbehaves, and yes, naming and shaming them too.

Trials is a quiet sport and participants should keep their own council.

For goodness sake, I beat myself up for just cussing in a section when there are youngsters about!

As for International 'stars' berrating officials they need to take a reality check and look at how immaculately competitors would behave in ISDT's of days gone by.

There is no place for 'attitude' in Trials, go ride a skateboard instead!

And a polite 'thank you' when someone punches your card doesn't go amiss either!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This behavior is not new.

In the early 70's I was CoC and came across a hold up in one of the sections about half way around the course.

Asked the observer what the problem was and he said nobody wanted to ride the section as they were all waiting for the gully to be worn away and make it easier.

I simply advised him to call the lowest number, ask him if he had inspected the section, and if so, tell him that he was required to attempt the section when called to do so or get a 5.

Given the status of the rider he was reluctant, so I did it.

Conversation was not polite but he rode the section cleaned and won the trial.

Spectators who heard the conversation commented on why I put up with it and i simply said that "It said more about him than me"!

But I got the result, the trial got moving and I could close the section.

It happens, its down to how you manage the situation!

Martin

• Like 1

This behavior is not new.

In the early 70's I was CoC and came across a hold up in one of the sections about half way around the course.

Asked the observer what the problem was and he said nobody wanted to ride the section as they were all waiting for the gully to be worn away and make it easier.

I simply advised him to call the lowest number, ask him if he had inspected the section, and if so, tell him that he was required to attempt the section when called to do so or get a 5.

Given the status of the rider he was reluctant, so I did it.

Conversation was not polite but he rode the section cleaned and won the trial.

Spectators who heard the conversation commented on why I put up with it and i simply said that "It said more about him than me"!

But I got the result, the trial got moving and I could close the section.

It happens, its down to how you manage the situation!

Martin

Very good point but as you can see from my "reputation" i'm not a people person LOL so doubt i would get away with it if i followed your lead. Think you did the right thing though.