Oset Batteries Lithium (LiPo) Conversion Directions

betarambo

I edited my post, i understood but didn't explain it well.

I just found these 2 chargers which may work well

dual 400W (assuming each output is 200W at 10A)

http://imaxrc.com/X400%20twins.html

and even better

same one as I was looking at but built in AC supply which I should be able to run on 240V to remove the need for a separate psu

http://imaxrc.com/X200AC-DC.html

I thought I had it all understood lol but then you guys started talking all high tech all I want is for someone to draw a diagram of how to run them in series to get 36v and a list of exactly what I need and a diagram of how to charge them I don't mind charging individually either. I would pay money for this lol

have a look at the diagrams i posted previously and the parts i have listed. I've looked at my "running" diagrams a heap of times and think me and GHY have the same layout, just my diagram looks more complicated because it shows all 6 batteries installed.

i'l do a full summary in a few days when it all turns up and i get started wiring it.

the 2 chargers you linked to look ok... the second one 1x200W (built in psu) is only a single charger so to charge all the cells in one go you would have to split the pack and P the 2 packs together .. high risk.. lot a room for error and problems.. wear and tear on all plug/sockets

the first charger ( 2x 200W ) you will still have to split the pack but you dont have to P the 2 goups together to charge all cells at once ( each group has its own charger).. less room for error and problems but still a lot of ware and tear on all plugs and sockets.

a 200 or 300w 10s charger means no splitting packs.. so even less room for errors and problems also a lot less wear and tear on plugs and sockets

I thought I had it all understood lol but then you guys started talking all high tech all I want is for someone to draw a diagram of how to run them in series to get 36v and a list of exactly what I need and a diagram of how to charge them I don't mind charging individually either. I would pay money for this lol

you already run your sla's in series on the bike ( 3 sla's in series = 36v )  so basically you will be replacing the 3 sla's with 2 (5s) lipo or with 3 (4s) lifepo4's..

this is why working with lifepo4's make it a little easier to under stand as they can be looked at as a direct voltage replacement for sla's

but this is the easy part..

it all starts getting complicated with the charging .

if I were you I would just buy a very basic setup initially 2x cheap 50w chargers @£12 each 2x laptop psu @£7 each 4x 5s1p 5000mah lipos @ £28 each and maybe a extra £20 on other bits and pieces ( adaptors, lv alarms )to wire it all and I would recommend also getting a cell checker at the very least but also another very useful tool is a watt meter @ £10  so you can get your head around what needs to be done with out spending to much money.. if you get it wrong you can right off a set of batterys in the space of hours and its better to loose 4 battery's in one hit than 6 ( for a 15ah battery)  :-) from a cost point of view  (4 lipo batterys would be the minimum required for a 10ah 36v battery )  

Just been on hobby king website and spoke to an advisor I said I wanted to run 3 lifepo batteries and they said use xt60 connectors and suggested a easy off tool and also showed me a charger they do that I can plug all 3 batteries in at once to charge them

Just been on hobby king website and spoke to an advisor I said I wanted to run 3 lifepo batteries and they said use xt60 connectors and suggested a easy off tool and also showed me a charger they do that I can plug all 3 batteries in at once to charge them

what was the charger ? and is that just using a parrallel adaptor board into the charger .. if using the lifepo4 batterys then it would be very tricky soldering xt60 to the main discharge leads as they are 8awg ( i think ) even if they are 10awg it will still be a tricky job but doable.. i would go for xt90 as the main discharge plug and socket or even 6mm bullets .. xt60's are physically quite small to work with 

yes this does away with having to have the separate psu but it will require the pack being split and then P the 3 lifepo4 batterys into the one charger, it will work but with all the negative aspects on charging a large battery that has to be split.

its only a 50w charger so if you have 3 lifepo4 batterys and each battery is 8.4ah the when all plugging into the charger (P) then the total capacity becomes  25.2ah

each battery is 4s so a charging voltage of 14.6v  so a max charge rate of 3.42A  , 25.2ah / 3.42A= 7.3 hours to charge + balancing time so maybe looking at 9 hours charge time..

9 hours maybe fine but you now also have to think of the safety side of things .  when are you going to start charging the battery as it should not be charge overnight in the house ( just in case the worst happens ) ( should not really charge these high density batterys in the house at anytime ), ideally it should not be left unattended whilst charging and it should always be charged in a fire safe area.  9 hours is a long time to be keeping a eye on the batterys.  

... if you bought 3 of those chargers then that would be a much better solution, 1 charger per battery as this will reduce a lot of the risks and wear and tear on connections and also reduce the charge time down to about 3hours.

or 2 chargers and 2x 5s2p lipo batterys will be even cheaper... which is what I originally said 2x 6s 50w charger @£12 each and 2x laptop psu's @ £7 each  the chargers will work out cheaper than 2x imax ac chargers. 

Edited by gwhy

Gwhy's diagram

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/34845-oset-batteries-lithium-lipo-conversion-directions/page-22#entry403998

Looks good for the 5s setup.  Bowser's diagrams are showing 3 5s in series which will be too high a voltage I think.

Gwhy's diagram is the setup I use daily on an e-bike charging twice a day for commuting.

It is not that difficult, I leave the parallel charge wiring attached to the charger and the series wiring attached to the bike.  Just detach the 2 batteries and move between them.  Only hassle is the balance lead, which I only bother with every 2nd charger. 

The wiring is pre wired XT60 parallel or series connectors bought from hobbyking to avoid soldering, I posted links to the bits previously.  I've done over 3500km on this setup - 250 charges without wear and tear being a problem.

I did have an issue early on when I connected the parallel balance leads while the batteries were still connected in series and set fire to the balance leads - that is avoided if you make sure the series lead stays attached to the bike.

If you want a longer duration battery and need to run 4 batteries, that complicates things a little, but maybe start slowly with 2 batteries, see how that goes, it is as easy to add another pair later as to do it in the first place.

I'm struggling with how the running diagram needs to look for 6 x 5s batteries for a 36v system.

I thought i needed 2 lots of 3 batteries connected in parallel (all reds connected to each other and all blacks connected to each other)  then connected in series (one red on one set connected to one black on the other set) and the remaining red and black leads are the system leads - or is this wrong?

if so, appreciate if someone could draw up a pic like mine showing all 6 batteries wired up

cheers