Best first bike?

jonabonospen

I just bought my first trials bike last week, a 1996 Gas Gas JTR 270, but once I got it home I realised it needed some work doing on it. When I started to try find parts though I found to my amazement that some parts for the bike are no longer available to buy from Gas Gas, like the hoses for example. So I have decided to sell the bike and it should be going tomorrow.

What I want to know is what are peoples recommendations for what models and years to go for when looking for a new bike? Sherco? Gas Gas? Beta? Scorpa?

I want to keep budgets down and reasonable as I am sure I will be dropping the bike a bit to start with and dont want to be dropping and breaking a bike that I have just spent thousands on, but then again on the same line of dropping it a lot, I do still want to be able to buy replacement parts for it if I drop it and not find like with this JTR that some parts arent easily available. Ideal maximum budget would be around

Unfortunately there isn't a "best" bike. They all have foibles and strengths and how you ride is pretty much the guide to it. Zippy and bouncy Gas Gas. Steady away a Beta REV3 or Yamaha engined Scorpa, some where in between a Sherco. It's not an exact science. I'd buy on condition, then once you KNOW how you ride and what you need you will be really in trouble because Modern bikes are getting pretty close to each other and it's really hard to pick the best FOR YOU. And the only way to do it is to ride as many as possible and go with the one you like.

Edited by Telecat

I'm really surprised that you can't get spares for the JTR... Hoses can be adapted from lots of other stuff.. Maybe if some engine parts are not available thats different, but people are keeping pre 65 stuff running, so don't chcuk the towel in too easily!

I guess that it's just the hassle that you want to avoid.

All the bikes are about the same in quality... no better than 'fair' (and most spares seem expensive too especially plastics). So you need to take your pick on performance and price.

• Dislike 1

Well the JTR has gone to a new home now. Just had an offer last night of a 2006 Beta 250 Rev3 in exchange for one of my road bikes and that seems like a really good bike for me to get after what some of you good peeps have said. Will see if it actually happens and a swap takes place.

Thanks trials 125

That sounds like good news to me, i am completely new to trials and i just bought a 250 beta rev 3....

"Personally, I would start off on a Beta 200/250.

The Beta is such a lovely bike and would be great for someone that is just starting off.

However, like Telecat said...all bike's have the good points and bad points. "

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks trials 125

That sounds like good news to me, i am completely new to trials and i just bought a 250 beta rev 3....

"Personally, I would start off on a Beta 200/250.

The Beta is such a lovely bike and would be great for someone that is just starting off.

However, like Telecat said...all bike's have the good points and bad points. "

No probs, hope you like your experience with trials riding ;)