Best first steps for beginner?

I am just starting out riding trials after years of road riding and have joined Horsforth club so I can practice in Swaine Woods. What I want to know though is what are the first things and steps I should take when learning how to ride and control the bike?

Should I just ride around gently at first? Then on to uphills or downhills? Lifting front wheel? etc etc. I just dont want to run before I can walk but also dont want to pick up bad habits very early on. Hopefully someone at the club will let me ride with them from time to time and impart some of their wisdom on me :rolleyes: but for now I just want to get started.

Good club, dont know if you from that area but Tong can practise there on certain days, get trials training dvd think they still do it gives you good tips, i started going up small hills and worked up to bigger hills, balance is the key go in garage and try to balance, front wheel in lock when doing it to help you dont even need bike running, when a started i got some pegs and and put them randomly good to get hang of turns and feel of the bike and just work your way up, small rocks and work your way up will take some time but start small and get bigger you will sonn have confidence hope this helps

I have been looking for the Ryan Young DVD but nowhere seems to have it in stock. I even phoned MotoMerlin and asked them about it but they said they had no stock for a at least 3-4 weeks. Have been watching some trials technique videos on the trialstrainingcenter.com website and they seemed quite good. What I am unable to find at the moment though is the very basics for starting out like riding technique and style, foot positioning, gearing etc.

What I am thinking in my head at the moment is to try practising balancing on the bike at a standstill without the engine running in the garage for a bit of time each night, then in a week or two once I have a rack sorted out go to the Swaine Woods and just have a steady ride around to feel comfortable with the bike. Then moving on from that to trying some slow figure 8's then on to going up and down steady slopes. Then after that I suppose it would be to move on to trying to ride over small rocks and logs and tackling some steeper hills up and down. Does that sound sensible?

I have been looking for the Ryan Young DVD but nowhere seems to have it in stock. I even phoned MotoMerlin and asked them about it but they said they had no stock for a at least 3-4 weeks. Have been watching some trials technique videos on the trialstrainingcenter.com website and they seemed quite good. What I am unable to find at the moment though is the very basics for starting out like riding technique and style, foot positioning, gearing etc.

What I am thinking in my head at the moment is to try practising balancing on the bike at a standstill without the engine running in the garage for a bit of time each night, then in a week or two once I have a rack sorted out go to the Swaine Woods and just have a steady ride around to feel comfortable with the bike. Then moving on from that to trying some slow figure 8's then on to going up and down steady slopes. Then after that I suppose it would be to move on to trying to ride over small rocks and logs and tackling some steeper hills up and down. Does that sound sensible?

I have not seen the one done by Dan. Sure it has it's own appeal, yet Ryan's first seems to be the classic.

Get both!

One can always e-mail RYP to inquire? Maybe he is out at the moment, yet me thinke the bigger deal might be him finding time to to to the post office for a parcel to the UK!

Busy Boy!

• 2 months later...