Splitting engine

tone27

Guys, A couple of things I need help with please, is the nut holding the clutch basket a left or right hand thread, only its really tight and I don't want to break anything! I am trying to split the engine so that I can check bearings and change seals, I have the engine out and taken out the bolts on the right (stator) side, the engine doesn't want to come apart, do you have to take off all the stuff on the clutch side? gearbox etc? and should the engine come apart easily (without persuasion?) I hope someone can help please, cheers Tone.

Tone, why are you splitting the cases? is there play or noise from the main bearing big end?

crank case seals are changed from the "outside" with no need to split the cases.

If you do have to split them, yes all the clutch and other gubbins has to come off, and the flywheel weight from the end of the crank. once you have all the outer clutter off its best to try and keep all the gears and crank in the left hand case. just support the engine by holding the right hand case where the barrel should mount and lightly tap the crank end and the end of the output shaft with a copper mallet. the cases should split with ease like this.

sounds a bit crude but i havent missed yet with this method.

let un know how you get on

cheers

paul.