Dave cooper rack advice

bikenuts

:icon_salut: Hello new to the site and to trials but not to bikes just bought a towbar and a new Dave cooper rack to hump my montesa around just wanted to know the best method of strapping it and securing it to the rack

cheers in advance

phil

We use 4wd rack on Vito

we strap

1 from LH handlebars to tow bar

1 from LH handlebar to lug on tow bar part of rack

1 from RH handle bar to lug on bike rack

Strap round back wheel to upright - we call this our safety strap as if all else fails this will stop bike falling off

If it's the same as mine then put Pipe Insulation on the bits that "rub on the rims". Then on the rear hook put the long strap on the outside. Wrap around wheel and though the Loop until you have three to four feet left. Then wrap it around the Loop and back though. Ratchet end on inner loop and tighten. From wheel long strap hook on inner loop, wrap twice round left fork. though wheel and twice round outer fork leg. Ratchet on same loop. Though Ratchet and tighten. In Both cases put Strap though the "closed" Ratchet so that when you operate the ratchet the tail doesn't pull on the lever. Run remaining Strap round right fork leg and wrap around the front of the mudguard to stop it failing around in the wind.

And if you get that good luck!!! It's better to see how it's done to be honest and that's just my way of doing it. Having said that. The Bike Made it to Youth Nationals in Devon and Surrey and back again!!

B)

pump the bike tyres up so you dont get any punctures when you ratchet the thing down.. learnt the hard way..

Thanks chaps.

fitted my towbar today nightmare but got there in the end :huh: and my rack turned up, Nice bit of kit going to b&q to get some good straps and then practice ,Also great idea with the tyres :thumbup: One more thing ive fitted it without the towball then read the instructions for the rack, <_< it states high lighted you must

refit the towball is this just to spread the load of the bolts? if so can i just make a plate as i dont need a towball

thanks again :D

• 2 weeks later...

this is how i do mine, i use one strap from the loop on the tow ball bracket, this is fed over the seat and hooked onto the right footrest i have also extended the rear wheel support and put a strap around that.

20101030_001.jpg

Edited by mattlloyd50

• 4 weeks later...

Hello to all,

I am planing to make me a rack but I couldn't find any pics how is the rack mounted on the car?

Can some one make me a picture of that part? It would be grate help!!!

Not being funny here but I bet making one yourself will cost almost as much as buying one new.

I run a metal fab shop and looked at doing it.....it's alright if you already have the material in stock but if you have to buy in for it then forget it.....unless you want the project of course !

I think I worked out you would need to make 4 and sell three to break even or something like that.

Check for a second hand one, I think I paid

Andy, thank's for a fast answer.

As I am from a far Serbia and I am one of two riding Trial bike in state it is not so easy to get anything.

Shipment from UK will cost me same as a new rack and that is a reason I decided to make it my self.

I have Renault Kangoo which should be ok for transport.

It would be grate help from you if you could send me some close photos and some dimensions.

I would be grateful!

You could write me to my mail dinozivkovic@gmail.com