4RT - a worthwhile mod

johnnyboxer

Fed up with getting water, crud and debris in the top of the airfilter, from the rear wheel, I bought one of these rear mudguard/airbox covers from Feet-Up at SCARBORO', via Ebay

I think they're originally made by H&D @ Malton

ABS Moulded plastic and cost £15

Easy to fit :thumbup:

Hope it works, can't be any worse :rolleyes: than Honda's ommission of getting it right

The problem - hole between mudguard and airbox

IMG_2445.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

The solution

IMG_2447.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

Edited by Johnnyboxer

Honda didn't omit anything in that area.

Your supplying dealer or the previous owner did though.

When the bike was supplied new, it came with a large thick rigid plastic 'liner' for the rear mudguard, full length, it also carried the rear number plate holder and the rear lights and indicators. The hole you indicate was for the wiring loom, and since it was sandwiched between the 2 layers of mudguard and liner, no crud passed through it.

The best mod in my opinion is to use the supplied liner but cut short. I cut mine roughly in line with the back of the silencer, that way it keeps the crud out and reinforces the mudguard so if you regularly sit / land on it, it doesn't crack at the rear mountings

Honda didn't omit anything in that area.

Your supplying dealer or the previous owner did though.

When the bike was supplied new, it came with a large thick rigid plastic 'liner' for the rear mudguard, full length, it also carried the rear number plate holder and the rear lights and indicators. The hole you indicate was for the wiring loom, and since it was sandwiched between the 2 layers of mudguard and liner, no crud passed through it.

The best mod in my opinion is to use the supplied liner but cut short. I cut mine roughly in line with the back of the silencer, that way it keeps the crud out and reinforces the mudguard so if you regularly sit / land on it, it doesn't crack at the rear mountings

I've had it from new, the huge plastic inner support is in a box somewhere.................even cut down it's still huge

This H&D item, I've added is just as good in every way for crap reduction, but maybe the added mudguard support point of view

So it'll do for me

I've had it from new, the huge plastic inner support is in a box somewhere.................even cut down it's still huge

This H&D item, I've added is just as good in every way for crap reduction, but maybe the added mudguard support point of view

So it'll do for me

I cut mine down with a hacksaw the day I got it, I find it does the job perfectly and also gives a bit more stability to the rear mudguard, and have also found it a lot easier to snap a fender without that black piece on.

• 3 months later...