Ignition Map switch

baldilocks

Hi folks

have searched the sherco forum and found contradictory answers to this question.

On the 2011 sherco which setting advances the timing map 1 or 2 ?

its still a relatively new bike so i dont want to rev to a few thou rpm to test myself and its not in the manual.

cheers

not sure about foreward or back , it clearly says on mine map1 or map2. I wonder actually if this is a bit of a misnomer; some say it is just a switch to select pick up for "spark timing" it would be good to know if it is actually a complete timing map as I agree with you why if this opportunity of technology is available is there so little noticable difference between the two "maps".

This shows the differences between the 2 different maps, as you can see all the trial maps available are very similar at idle speed and only really change at around 10,000rpm.

10,000rpm??? ... I didn't think a Trials bike rev'd up anywhere near that high :unsure:

Best of balance.

Neo

This shows the differences between the 2 different maps, as you can see all the trial maps available are very similar at idle speed and only really change at around 10,000rpm.

What are the graphs showing?

Why can't the maps be made nore different at revs where mere mortals(most of us) would find a benifit?

What does 10,000 RPM on a trials bike sound like? (i'm waiting for som wag to say....BANG)

so Map 2 is only the softest, as in less power per rpm on two of the 3 maps but the change is probably marginal looking at the graph until you get way beyond what I'll ever rev it to. Chris do you know which of the 3 applies to the 2011 bike out of interest ?

its a good point though Chewy, why not change it at 3000 rpm, I doubt cabestany ever gets to 10,000 never mind Joe Public.

Edited by Baldilocks

Thanks again to Splatshop Chris for bringing out the Leonelli graphs for phe programmable ignitions(which could be adapted, yet the standard bike does not come with this, only the dual map.

I highly suspect that the actual functions of the standard dual map are closely related to the advance curves illustrated, which also explains my lack of "seat of pants" resopnse.

As my '07 did not have the switch, I have not been keen on the idea of retro fitting one. If anythin, I may be more inclined to "ditch the switch" myself. Or just make one them stickers to put on it a non-functional switch that says "EASY" to see if that will help my sorry ass any.

Leonelli also states the limits on the trials flywheels at 13,000 rpm, with 14,000 as occasional limit! At 10K, she is singing!

Bottom line-----FAIL!!!!!!!! IMHO!

with the switch removed what map is the default?

Ronie(Rlracer) did a test on this, yet I cannot recall the result, think it map 2, with the map one switch un-earthed.

Can, Wigster tell a difference? Or yersel?

Edited by copemech