Master Class

john collins

Re: Master Class.

We had quite a lot of good sensible debate on this topic in Nov - and I explained in detail etc how it was formed - its intended purpose and the fact that a decision would have to be taken.

I note from the latest posts that as few people are disappointed - and I certainly echo that view. I still believe the Master Class was a good stepping stone - as well as allowing the Clerk of Course a little flexibility.

It will as - someone else has said be introduced into Welsh Champ this year - and reports are that it is good.

The trouble is with any further debate on the matter is that we shoot off on a tangent about the pro's and cons of the whole Champ format - and while that is in itself perhaps an interesting debate for future posts - but is not really here and now.

I will therefore try to just give a few facts in relation to present position.

As stated in Nov - it was apparent that a Master Class of perhaps 2 or 3 riders was not really achieving the intended result. SO - it was decided that unless 10 realistic names came forward - we would reluctantly drop it.

Note: A good point was made by Chris - on Nov 30th - that 10 names would obviously not mean 10 riders - and that to be realistic we should have around 15-20. I acknowledged this.

Also note - that year after year - we get names - who though certainly eligible - and would make the Class quite good - they then do not ride - or certainly only ride in perhaps the one local event.

Also - Obviously in Championship Class - you only accept riders of some proven record/ability - and equally - in the Master Class - we really only wish to see riders who have a proven record/ability in the Expert Class - or some sort of past ability which can be validated i.e. - it is not sensible or desirable - to take someone straight into the Masters class - he/she should have some experience lower down - this is not going to change.

So - To run Master Class in 05 - we stated we required an absolute minimum of 10 riders.

Now where I object strongly - is to a post such as "trialsboy" - who having far more information and knowledge than a poor soul such as myself - regards the fact that 10 riders did not apply as

Ouch! Big slapdown for trialsboy.

Nice reply John. We're all guilty of blaming everything that we see as being wrong with the sport on the ACU on occasion and your comments "from the horse's mouth" are much appreciated. And at least we know that our comments are being listened to!

Its a shame about the masters class, as there are several riders who find the full championship course too much, but the experts not enough of a challange. Will be intresting to see how they mark the sections out, wonder if they'll try to make it slightly harder to accomodate the better riders. All in all should be a very intresting expert series with perhaps 6 riders in with a shout of a win.

The fact the expert class is over subscribed, shows that barring the few who ride the champ lines this should be the standard of the British championship.

So what!! if the few at the top find it too easy, the best British rider doesn't even ride the series, it's time the governing bodies started making the sport more realistic to the public and getting more people riding for a year end standing.

Nothing wrong with a good tough trial, but the stunt show hasn't improved rider or spectator participation, just added a lot more work for nowt.

Time the boff's woke up and took a look at the state of the game.

:D