Fantic 245

grib

I have just bought a 245 and I'm not sure it has all of the correct bits on it: the flywheel only has one detatchable weight rather than the two shown in the manual, there are no holes for mounting the iner small weight either - I'm guessing the flywheel is from another model?. The alloy caps on the fork legs each have one cross head screw offset from the centre but I thought it should have a blank cap on one leg and an adjuster on the other - can anyone tell me whether this is correct please? It has FM363 stamped on the crankcases and FM 364 on the exhaust. Oh and the top end rattles like it is about to explode, I have read that they are a bit rattley but I am quite alarmed by the noise it makes. Thanks in advance.

No sure which is right or wrong...the 301 / 241 had a flywheel where no rings could be added or taken off. The 305 hat them...two rings. Maybe the 245 had only the one? All are Ducati and interchangable. The rattling is par for the course. Whip the head of and check the bore. If ok and mains and big end also, put a piston in it. It is necessary to ensure the nikosil has not worn thin.(Feelable lip at the top) Then go up a size. If a C is fitted, buy a D. If the nikosil is well worn, you may go up two sizes but be careful as the ring will hit the wear lip and bare alu bores dont slide as well as chrome. It may seize.

Even better is to measure your bore and then the piston. Clearance when new was 0,035mm but 0,05mm is also ok. 0,07 will rattle and yours is probably 0,1 or more. If you leave it dont try winning against dougie. If you wanna try that, best replace piston.

Bob Wright has cheapish pistons from GUL. If you wanna keep the bike, look for an ASSO or Giordani but these are , whistle through yer teeth, expensive.

HTH

Lee

Edited by Lee Harris

• 4 months later...

No sure which is right or wrong...the 301 / 241 had a flywheel where no rings could be added or taken off. The 305 hat them...two rings. Maybe the 245 had only the one? All are Ducati and interchangable. The rattling is par for the course. Whip the head of and check the bore. If ok and mains and big end also, put a piston in it. It is necessary to ensure the nikosil has not worn thin.(Feelable lip at the top) Then go up a size. If a C is fitted, buy a D. If the nikosil is well worn, you may go up two sizes but be careful as the ring will hit the wear lip and bare alu bores dont slide as well as chrome. It may seize.

Even better is to measure your bore and then the piston. Clearance when new was 0,035mm but 0,05mm is also ok. 0,07 will rattle and yours is probably 0,1 or more. If you leave it dont try winning against dougie. If you wanna try that, best replace piston.

Bob Wright has cheapish pistons from GUL. If you wanna keep the bike, look for an ASSO or Giordani but these are , whistle through yer teeth, expensive.

HTH

Lee

Hi Lee Harris

i'm looking me too for a piston for my 305, i know Asso but never heard Giordani, is it italian ??

Alberto