Air box nut buggerd

coldcake

Right then I'm in a pickle as the nut in the air box that holds the mudgaurd has buggerd up, the nut has only a few threads left and does not take enough of the bolt.What can I do? any ideas welcomed, apart from buy new air box.

Right then I'm in a pickle as the nut in the air box that holds the mudgaurd has buggerd up, the nut has only a few threads left and does not take enough of the bolt.What can I do? any ideas welcomed, apart from buy new air box.

I had same problem, I used an insert-nut. They're for wood really but work fine...mines been in 18 months with no problems.

Just a bit of messing around getting the old one out.

Check this - Clickety click.

Just screw it in and make sure it sits as you want it, then wind it out again and apply a bit of glue/silicone/araldite and screw back in !

Andy.

Edited by houseape1000

One of mine failed as well. :(

The fitted nuts are made from very soft metal so it doesn't take much to bugger them up.. I just used longer thicker screws with a thicker threads, I turned them in and out abit at a time until they made their own thread in the existing nut [if that makes sense] - works a treat.

I had same problem, I used an insert-nut. They're for wood really but work fine...mines been in 18 months with no problems.

Just a bit of messing around getting the old one out.

Check this - Clickety click.

Just screw it in and make sure it sits as you want it, then wind it out again and apply a bit of glue/silicone/araldite and screw back in !

Andy.

how did you get the old one out, half the nut has broken with me.

thanks to you all for the advice.

how did you get the old one out, half the nut has broken with me.

thanks to you all for the advice.

I'm pretty sure (it was a while ago) that I decided to drill it out with a drill a little smaller than said nut, and about halfway through the nut started to spin, so I just wiggled it out a bit like a dentist removing a tooth !

I wasn't too worried about breaking the airbox as I have a mechanic friend whom uses "plasters for plastic" a kind of epoxy resin with a strip of plastic....They use it to repair cracked bumpers and it's very good stuff....but a little pricey if you don't have a friend like mine !!!

Luckily I didn't need a patch.

Andy.