Does anyone have any tips when buying 1st bike?

roughrider

if you have decided on what bike you are already half way there. either way its time to visit some local trials, the club secretary and officials are always best to talk to. after the trial starts they usually have some spare time before riders start to return and are generally keen to help potential members. give them a wide berth when they are busy they will thank you for that. they will have the best local knowledge of who is selling what along with an idea of who's to avoid.

at a trial it is possible to blag a ride of most types of bike i for one dish mine out to almost anyone

bear in mind anyone you talk to will have their own opinions, i swear blind by montesa but not everyone will agree. when you decide on a bike have a look at trials central specific manufacturer pages they will give an idea of what to look out for.

good luck and post how you get on.

Take your time finding the correct bike, if you buy the first bike you see you may regret it!

And always take someone who can give you a second opinion :thumbup:

Very good advice.

In the excitement of finding your dream machine, you might overlook some costly faults.

Let us know what model and year you are looking at and you will probably get a few points to look out for on that particular machine.

Pete

If its the Ty 250 you have seen its not a bad start if its a good example its near the right sort of money. The reliability of of a Ty is good yet its in a funny place not much better than a twinshocks but in a class of modern bikes. If its around the sort of money you want to spend my suggestion would be a montesa 315. Although only a few years newer they are miles ahead in development and less of a handful in modern sections. Honda build quality is also excellent. A rough but mechanically sound one should be only a couple hundred more.