TLR rear rim replacement - ideas?

jmo

Hi everyone - well I've finally got round to starting the restoration on my TLR200 - the bodywork is away being painted, and I'll be stripping the rest of the bike down to get the frame powder-coated too...

However, what I am really after is a replacement rear rim for the TLR rear hub... I have a very good condition front wheel from a TLM220 (with disc brake) which is the same DID rim as the TLR, only in silver anodized instead - and ideally would like a matching rear DID rim, as it's a shame to have to replace a perfectly good front rim just to get a matching pair.

So does anyone know where I might find a suitable rear DID rim (either a 2.15 or a 1.85 width) to match the front? I've tried the usual retailer channels and come up with nothing... is there another bike of a similar vintage that might have used the same spoke pattern that would work?

Alternatively, is there a more modern 36h tubeless type rear rim for example, that comes in silver anodized and would lace to a drum brake rear hub?

Any advice and pointers would be most appreciated...

Jenny x

Hi Jenny.. A later tubeless rim you should be able to get from these people...

http://www.mxbits.com/acatalog/Excel_Motocross_Wheel_Rims.html

Or if you want a wheel building then these may be worth a call....

http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/smpro_mx/smpro_mx.html

:thumbup:

EDIT; Just visited your website and realised you are handy with the spanners :dunce::unsure:

Edited by bo drinker

Hi Jenny - hows that leg of yours coming on?

To match the front to the silver rear, you could always pick up a 315 front complete front end, the yokes will go straight on - only need a new steering head bolt made up, hey presto, some fine front forks, front disc and matching silver rim?

If you want to keep it fairly original, I know a lad in the local club who has got central wheel components (not tied to the company in any way, just good reports) to lace up an anodized gold 315/4rt DID tubeless rim to the standard TLR hub - i think he had to get the front done aswell however to get a perfect colour match.

Hope this helps

Iain

Edited by bucki3

Aha - thank you guys, this is great info... so it's feasible that a later Beta or Montesa rear rim could be laced in, I'll start looking for one!

Just to clarify - I've got the forks, wheel, caliper from a TLM220 (or might have been a 250) - but using my original TLR yokes...

DSC00827.jpg

DSC00829.jpg

So now have a front brake that actually works, even if a few purists might frown - at least they are still all Honda parts x

The 35mm forks fitted straight in, and the wheel did too (without the fork brace - gotta love sloppy forks eh?), the TLR yokes as I'm sure you know are quite a bit narrower, so I had a spacer machined to replace the speedo drive and line everything up properly - only now the wheels is slightly off-centre so I need to change the offset of the rim towards the disc by 4mm, which might be tricky as there is not a lot of clearance between the spokes and caliper body already... I'm sure there is a solution out there (yeah - like a set of yokes with 164mm centers instead of 156mm?!)

Ideally I'd like to keep the front DID rim as it's in really good condition, but if I get no luck finding a suitable silver rear rim to match (colourwise at least), then I might end up just buying a pair of Excels or something and getting both wheels rebuilt.

Many thanks, and please keep the ideas coming!

Jx