PHBH26 carb - Slow jet #1 wont come out

sundance1

Would like a few opinions. I have a PHBH26 carb that I decided to pull apart and clean. All came apart beautifully and all in good shape, with the exception of the slow jet #1.

The bugger would not budge and as a consequence the slot for the srew driver headed has been almost obliterated. I blew out all the brass filings and squirted carb cleaner through the pin hole in the carb throat that leads to the slow jet. If I hold it up to the light, the pin hole in the slow jet #1 is clear. carb fluid sprays easily through it. Do you think the jet will perform the way it should even though the scew driver slot is worn down? if not how would you recommend getting the jet out?

thank you

drop the carb into a pot of hot water (not boiling) for a few minutes - then into a pot of cool (not freezing water) the change in temp and resulting expansion and contraction may break the seal.

Haven't had a dellorto in the shed for a couple of years so I am not familiar with their jet sizes however if you can find out - I find good quality bronze guitar strings make excellent jet cleaners - you can buy them .009 .010 .011 and so on - works for me

drop the carb into a pot of hot water (not boiling) for a few minutes - then into a pot of cool (not freezing water) the change in temp and resulting expansion and contraction may break the seal.

Haven't had a dellorto in the shed for a couple of years so I am not familiar with their jet sizes however if you can find out - I find good quality bronze guitar strings make excellent jet cleaners - you can buy them .009 .010 .011 and so on - works for me

Just for clarification the Slow Jet # 1 (air bleed) is the jet inside the carb housing hidden behind Slow Jet #2.

I am hoping it will be ok and not make the bike run funny.

The damage is, the screwdriver slot has been chewed off but the hole of the jet is still clear (can see day light through it.

I had a hard time finding a screw driver that would fit to get at the jet, the access is so narrow. I ended up trying a jewellers screw driver, but could not get enough torque to loosen it and as such was chewing off a bit of brass from the screw driver slot.

If I have to change the jet ,I am not sure how to get it out? Maybe drill it out , but would be afraid to damage the carb body.

Any suggestions?

On a final note, I think I may have poisened my self from all the fumes of the carb cleaner I was using...not feeling too great!

Thanks

Fred

Not sure what to suggest I'm afraid. Drilling it out a bit so a tiny EZout or whatever will fit plus the heating up trick might work. What I do know is that that jet is a sod for partially blocking. It also has several tiny holes in the side like a mini emulsion tube that will of course get blocked at some point. If the bike is running OK now maybe leave it for a bit, but you'll have to see to it eventually I'd say.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips....

I did a thorough job soaking it in carb cleaner, running a very thin wire through it many times and using my compressor to blow it out at each step.

I have it back on the bike and runs great. Ticks over on the 2nd kick, idles well and revs smoothly through out the range.

I will leave alone for now as suggested and do the same typr of cleaning procedure the next time it acts up.

If all else fails I will contemplate the heating up, EZout or left handed self tapping screw ideas.

thank you all again

Fred

Edited by sundance1