Bike refusing to run!

misterkiffer

From one problem to another! Bike ran fine, no issues- stator went, and has now been repaired with a healthy spark at the plug. Timing has been set to as it was before the stator death.

I had the bike out the other day and it kicked up first time, rode it around 500 metres and it wouldn't tickover idle. I had a fiddle with the carb thumbscrew and the bike died. I have cleaned the carb with no joy.

Now, when I unscrew the plug at the bottom of the carb, releasing all the petrol, pull out the spark plug and give it a wipe, the bike kicks up momentarily with the petrol off. Switch the petrol on and it cuts out. If the petrol is on from the start it doesn't kick up at all.

I've set the carb up as per Billy T's mod. Still no joy.

The spark plug is getting fuel to it as it is slightly wet. When I empty the carb, plenty of fuel drops out. The fuel mix is 80:1, and the bike ran fine on this before stator went.

On a separate note, anyone want to buy a 2003 beta? Good runner.... Honest....

Hmmmm all you need is compression, fuel, air and spark. Assuming you got spark and compression hasn't fundamentally changed that leaves the carb. When you cleaned it did you disassemble it and blow it out with compressed air? And by disassemble I mean take all the screws, jets and fiddly bits and lay them out on a paper towel while you ran high pressure into every hole in the carb body. Carb cleaner don't count because it won't have suffcient pressure to blow out a wedged spec of crud, it will spray in your eyes and cause a fire hazard.

While you have the carb off pull the reed cage out and have a look. The described symptoms is exactly what my bike did when it sucked a reed.

Reassemble the carb carefully checking the floats don't foul on the bowl gasket. Reinstall and tell us what happens.

FWIW there have been plenty of times I've done serial carb teardowns when I didn't get it right. It happens.

Keep us in the loop. We're keen to know you got it fixed.

Dan- I havnt had compressed air through the carb- will do this tonight. I'll have a look at the reeds also, but im not too sure what i should be looking for with them! Compression doesn't seem to be lacking.

Joe- the bike had a new batch in when it died first time, of 80:1. And it went on this before I started fiddling with thumbscrew on carb. But I'll replace this just to rule it out completely, it's been in the bike about a month.

What should the thumbscrew and airscrew be set to once carb is cleaned out? 250cc rev3 2003 mikuni carb.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll let you know how it goes!

Edited by Misterkiffer

ever since the introdution of the rev 3 there has been many problems with all models and their stators.

having experienced it myself and a few friends bikes i wouldnt ever have another.

shame because they where great bikes and the new evo is yet another on going development of what effectively was the ground breaking beta zero of the early 90's.

Reeds checked, all fine, in quite good condition compared to the rest of the bike!

Floats checked, and they're floating nicely.

Carb to friends workshop tomorrow for a good blasting out with compressed air.

New fuel line filter and fresh mix of petrol to go in before starting her up. If that doesn't work, I'll have to surrender and pay a pro to sort it out...

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing happened on the bike I couldn't fix. Only bike to ever defeat me. It ran for a bit then nothing. I checked compression, swapped carbs and changed everything electrical except the stator so as Holmes would say, "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." I never found out if the owner ever got it running. He went through some personal stuff while I had the bike and lost interest. For all I know it's still sitting in a corner somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...