2006 sherco 290 for a beginner

dave_johnston

Hi,

I am wanting to buy a trials bike to mainly play around on and enter the odd trial, i have done 3 or 4 trials in the past but that was about 7 years ago. I have been looking to get a 2006 290 but just wondered how reliable they are and wether or not it will bankrupt me if it does go wrong, and what the pros and cons are of these things.

Hi,

I am wanting to buy a trials bike to mainly play around on and enter the odd trial, i have done 3 or 4 trials in the past but that was about 7 years ago. I have been looking to get a 2006 290 but just wondered how reliable they are and wether or not it will bankrupt me if it does go wrong, and what the pros and cons are of these things.

I'm in the same boat at the moment. I've never had a sherco but I've been looking at some of the later models lately. My mate just picked up a few weeks ago a brand new sherco and while it's awesome to ride I'm (as I expect he is) dissapointed with it's build quality. It had done literally 3 hrs of engine work from the dealer at it's first trial when the engine case started leaking gearbox oil, bright green radiator coolant and the kick start gave up and it needed to be clutch started. All from a brand new bike with only several hours' easy engine work. I'm now even more skeptical about sherco's quality but heaps of guys seem to run them without issues. All I know is that my gas gas's have been super reliable. maybe I'll get a beta... ;)

Cheers

My 2007 290 sherco has been totally reliable over the last 4 years.

I have just changed the oil, cleaned the air filter and washed it and I use it regularly.

Generally it is better if you know where the bike has been and who has used it.

Dave, I am a fairly new rider too, I have a 2010 Sherco 250 that has been totally reliable. From what I see, the Sherco's are tops in reliability. I am told that the 250's are easier to ride, and have more low end traction. I'm glad I have one, just based on my experience level. P.S. Chris, at the Splatshop, has helped me out very well with basic supplies and accessories at a reasonable price.

Edited by rockyrider

I've owned, maintained and been around a bunch of Shercos.

Being the mechanical one in the group, I've worked on all of the major brands.

As much as I like all the cool bits and bobs on the Montesa, I've always found Sherco the most dependable, easiest to work on and, at least here in the US, along with Montesa, best parts availability.

Hi,

That was not a bad bike, yet a few things come to mind here.

Firstly, that year seemed to have issues with leaking seals on the rear shocker.

Secondly, depending upon rider, they may develop cracks in the frame just above the radiator opening. Many frames were replaced under warranty, so a non issue for most at that point.

Thirdly, I just never reccomend a 2.9 as a starter bike for punters. It is a fairly aggressive bike, and may require a bit of settling. I think the 250's are more docile overall and possibly better suited, depending upon just how aggressive the rider is :thumbup: .

Thanks for all the replies, think i might have a ratch for a 250 because i have read a few comments about the 290 having a bit much power for a beginner, am i right in thinking its better to go for a good well cared for example rather than going for the newest thing i can afford? i dont mind doing i little bit of work and maintenance myself as i own a 450 husaberg supermoto that eats main bearings, but i have read a few gearbox horror stories, are things like that fairly simple to fix?

Thanks for all the replies, think i might have a ratch for a 250 because i have read a few comments about the 290 having a bit much power for a beginner, am i right in thinking its better to go for a good well cared for example rather than going for the newest thing i can afford? i dont mind doing i little bit of work and maintenance myself as i own a 450 husaberg supermoto that eats main bearings, but i have read a few gearbox horror stories, are things like that fairly simple to fix?

I have never seen a Sherco gearbox break. One could bend a shift shaft, or break a return spring, but? Still easy enough. :rolleyes:

I have never seen a Sherco gearbox break. One could bend a shift shaft, or break a return spring, but? Still easy enough. :rolleyes:

I have broken the return spring and the shift shaft, both were super easy to fix.

Apparently the shifter does not like being used as a foot peg.............go figure.

I've been out of it for a few years, but back in the olden days...'02-'03...I thought the 250's were kind of peaky...I'm not sure if I ever even saw one...this is America...bigger is better...

When I got my 290, I was pretty much a novice, and I totally loved the bike.

A touch of timing retard and a slow throttle and I think that big motor actually helped cover for my lack of technique.

I've been out of it for a few years, but back in the olden days...'02-'03...I thought the 250's were kind of peaky...I'm not sure if I ever even saw one...this is America...bigger is better...

When I got my 290, I was pretty much a novice, and I totally loved the bike.

A touch of timing retard and a slow throttle and I think that big motor actually helped cover for my lack of technique.

Charlie makes a good point, and a lot of 2.9's have been settled a bit over the years, as well as 2.5,s for that matter. 249cc or whatever VS 272cc is is basically 10% more, and it seems to end up on the GRUNT end of things, which can make the bigger power seem a bit overwhelming at times for a novice/amature rider.

Buying upon condition, I still would go for the cleanest bike and best maintained, reguardless of displacement, which is why I still have a 2.9, add the 250's are scarce here. I just make the bigger bike run like the smaller bike, basically.

Edited by copemech

thanks to the info i found on here i have got myself a 2007 290, very pleased with it.

the only problem i have got is that since the water pump seal was replaced the kickstart sounds like it is still slightly engaged all of the time. if i just to say touch the kickstart pushing it towards the front of the bike the noise goes away. any ideas what could cause this? or how to fix it thanks

thanks to the info i found on here i have got myself a 2007 290, very pleased with it.

the only problem i have got is that since the water pump seal was replaced the kickstart sounds like it is still slightly engaged all of the time. if i just to say touch the kickstart pushing it towards the front of the bike the noise goes away. any ideas what could cause this? or how to fix it thanks

something wrong with the kickstart return spring? I broke one of these once also.