Fantic 200

totalshell

fork seal blown on one of the legs of my 200, before I take out the lump hammer , it looks like the seal is held in by a spring clip. Do i just pull the leg off, dump the oil in an enviromentaly safe way.. whip out the clip poke out the seal and replace with new.. or is life never that simple

That's about it.

If you're buying seals from a local bearing/seal stockist make sure they are hydraulic seals and not rotary seals otherwise you'll be wasting your time and they'll leak pretty quickly. Not all seal stockists have hydraulic seals. If you just ask 'have you got sseals like this in x, y and z dimensions' you'll most likely end up with rotary type. I don't know how you tell them apart visually but they are designed to work differently, ie; for their own purpose, rotary like a gearbox shaft spinning in the seal, or hydraulic like a fork leg or hydraulic ram's in/out movement.

From memory, they are 35mm id, 47mm od and 10mm thick. I think it is KTM SX65 or 85 forks that have that dimension so if you bought those you know you have decent quality fork seals.

That's about it.

If you're buying seals from a local bearing/seal stockist make sure they are hydraulic seals and not rotary seals otherwise you'll be wasting your time and they'll leak pretty quickly. Not all seal stockists have hydraulic seals. If you just ask 'have you got sseals like this in x, y and z dimensions' you'll most likely end up with rotary type. I don't know how you tell them apart visually but they are designed to work differently, ie; for their own purpose, rotary like a gearbox shaft spinning in the seal, or hydraulic like a fork leg or hydraulic ram's in/out movement.

From memory, they are 35mm id, 47mm od and 10mm thick. I think it is KTM SX65 or 85 forks that have that dimension so if you bought those you know you have decent quality fork seals.

Correct Seals available from steve goode at a "good" price. use a heater to warm the tops before prying out AND use a rag folded as many times as possible, 4 or 8 times to place under the levr and protect to rim (phnah phnah). I find tyre levers work well. THROW ALL HAMMERS AWAY or pay the price...

• 1 month later...