Alternative points

turps

I have now ridden my TL320 in two trials since I rebuilt it from 5 boxes of parts, however there seems to be a problem as I have had 2 DNFs due to a misfire developing. The reason for this I think is that it may need a new set of points as I never changed them during the rebuild. I know where I can get genuine replacement points for it but was wondering if anyone is aware of any compatible sets from an old car that would be handier to pick up from my local motor factors. I have read elsewhere on this forum that some old chainsaws use the same ones, any idea of the model I would be looking for?

Thanks in advance. :beer:

Hi James

In my experience the points either work or don't, thought it might be worth lubricating the pivot in case they are sticking as they get hot.

I would change the plug and condensor if you haven't already.

You going to Scottish Classic on Saturday ?

Ross

I don't mean this to sound flippant or sarcastic as it isn't intended to be, but by the time you have an answer to this, if there is one, you could have ordered and received a correct set from In Motion / Bultaco UK.

It's just not worth the time and effort of trying to find out because as mentioned above, as long as they are good quality, one set of points won't work any better than another.

Your points may be fine, if there is plenty of meat on them, clean them with wet and dry, but a misfire could be any of or a combination of some of the following; condensor, plug, plug lead, plug cap, LT coil, HT coil, bad earth, breaks in wiring, bad connections.

Hi James

In my experience the points either work or don't, thought it might be worth lubricating the pivot in case they are sticking as they get hot.

I would change the plug and condensor if you haven't already.

You going to Scottish Classic on Saturday ?

Ross

Yes I'm going on Satusday and hoping to camp but weather doesn't look too promising, prbably be on the 'trusty' Suzuki.

See you there James

I don't mean this to sound flippant or sarcastic as it isn't intended to be, but by the time you have an answer to this, if there is one, you could have ordered and received a correct set from In Motion / Bultaco UK.

It's just not worth the time and effort of trying to find out because as mentioned above, as long as they are good quality, one set of points won't work any better than another.

Your points may be fine, if there is plenty of meat on them, clean them with wet and dry, but a misfire could be any of or a combination of some of the following; condensor, plug, plug lead, plug cap, LT coil, HT coil, bad earth, breaks in wiring, bad connections.

I've replaced virtually everything but the points so this is the next logical step. The reason that I asked about alternatives to standard is that its normally a bit cheaper to buy car spares and if I can just pop in to the shop round the corner it will save me p+p charges too. ( maybe its right what they say about us Scots) :D