Cota 247 kickstart advice please

taylo63

Wonder if someone could give me some advice in regard to the kickstart on my Cota 247 ( 1975)

The problem is that the kicker hits the rear brake pedal and then gets stuck when trying to return!

I have looked at many photos of similar bikes and cannot see any difference between the kickstart or the brake pedal. Is this something that is normal on these bikes?

Thanks

The kickstart lever may need to be bent out a little - heat it first. The 247s take a mighty heave and things start to give so I STRONGLY suggest that you by a compression release that screws into the spare plug hole - these cost around $35 AUD check ebay - but don't delay as stripped starter gears are big - big trouble.

Thanks all for your replies..Bit of an odd one this..The kickstart is not bent outwards at all. I even thought there might be a non standard kickstart and/or brake pedal,but comparing to other 247's they both appear standard.Not sure where to go on this now..I'm a bit reluctnat to continue using the bike until I resolve the issus as I don't want to damage anything !...I may investigate a way of perhaps folding the lever out of the way while I kick it. I need to think about that one.

Thanks Keychange for the advice on a decompressor..I will see if i can find one here in the UK.

Does anyone know who sells them ?

Regards

Something has been bent or modified as they shouldn't touch. I've owned a couple and ridden a few, there isn't a problem with clearance. Are you sure the kickstart is the right one or the pedal hasn't been altered.

Below is a picture of my last one (footrests were moved if you think something doesn't look right) You can see the bend of the kickstart (this is how they are, I don't mean I bent it) See how it compares with yours.

Decompressor kit should be available from most dealers such as BVM, Sammy Miller, Bultaco UK, Steve Goode. I think Venhill may stock them as well. If you fit one don't forget to use the spacer as the Mont is a short reach plug head and if you screw the decompressor right in it will clatter the piston and you'll have more than a brake pedal to worry about

post-71-0-91029700-1308783426.jpg

Mine did hit the brake pedal (and broke it) when I first got it and the advice I received was that the start levers bend with years of works and have to be straightened - that is what I did with mine (just heat it and straighten it) and now even with wide pegs I have plenty of clearance

• 2 weeks later...

\it looks like you foot peg mount have been modified (lower and back) whoever did this may have moved the brake pedal pivot point and that is now why it hits the kick start. if you can you show a picture of the inside part of the frame I can confirm.

\it looks like you foot peg mount have been modified (lower and back) whoever did this may have moved the brake pedal pivot point and that is now why it hits the kick start. if you can you show a picture of the inside part of the frame I can confirm.

The picture is not the OP's bike but an example of kickstarter shape

At last...I think I have found the problem. The kickstart is bent... but not in the place where I thought it would be.. I only noticed where it was bent after I removed the top bit of the kick ( the bit that swivels)...when this was removed I could see that it is clearly bent..

Next question is how do you remove the kickstart ? Obviously you unscrew the pinch bolt but I'm not sure how you go about releasing the return spring and infact putting it back...

Again any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Don't just loosen you have to remove the pinch bolt the kickstart will slide off with a bit of manipulation and maybe some penetrating oil. If you feel the need to add pressure prying it off make sure you use a piece of wood etc against the engine case as the aluminum cases mark and break easily. The spring just comes out with the kick start and is easily replaced.

Get used to the procedure as you will need to become proficient in this as you have to remove the kickstart, engine case and flywheel every time you adjust the points or timing - which can take 10 goes to get it right the first time. I think I had full flywheel removal, timing adjustment and reassembly down to under 15 minutes at one stage.

You had better get yourself a flywheel puller it is absolutely mandatory - commonly available even on eBay

Edited by keychange