my new trailer :)

myzeneye

well, as i discussed in a previous thread , ive been building a new trailer......

i had a very good one, but it was too big and heavy and i wanted a more "trials bike specific" trailer....

so, i got the angle grinder out and set to work....

stripped the original trailer down to just the axle and wheels and began again from there.....

heres what i came up with...

all newly made bar the axle and wheels, fits 3 bike very securely on it, two forwards,one backwards.....

im made up with the results and im happy for anyone to copy this as a patern for their own should they wish too...

SNC00028.jpg

SNC00033.jpg

this picture shows the frame in a bit more detail, before excess bits where chopped off and welding ground/clean up etc..... 2x1" box section ,i figured keeping a little of the weight would help it tow better...

SNC00019.jpg

Edited by myzeneye

Looks great, nice work.

Does it work with more than one bike? Be nice to see pics with it loaded!

Graham

yeah 3 bikes.....two outside ones face forward, one in the middle facing backwards....... or, if you have just the one bike on it will go in the middle slot facing forwards...

the loading plate it 4 foot x 6 inch so plenty on room.....

makes a great seat too for parking your arris whilst having a brew in between laps !

It looks really easy to store , only problem I can see is that the bike/bikes wheels will cover the number plate & lights ?

yes i know.... a slight glitch i guess...was gonna put the light board on the bikes when they're loaded... but couldnt wait hahah and fitted the light board just to see what its like.....hahhaha

however, i am considering an updated electics version where i hard wiire the lights in on the mudguards or somthing, but that wont get round the number plate issue ???

ah well, back to the drawing board on that one...hahaha

as for storgae, yes, its very small and easy... i can pich it up but theres still a fair bit of wight in it, espesh with that whopping jocky wheel...

but, im making two legs with casters on wich will slot into the end of the box section and allow me to stand it up on end and wheel it down the side of the garage........

lovely jubley.....:)

thanks .. :thumbup:

im made up with it too...hahhaha far out done what i thought i could with it anyway ! hahahah

yep, ill have a look for a little sqaure no plate...... :thumbup:

ill laso get a pick of it with a bike loaded on.....

Edited by myzeneye

Superb Job! Really looks fantastic, you must be well chuffed.

Looks Like you had fun. What did it roughly cost you for the materials?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yerah just get 2 Brackets bent up, and rivet to the Muguards. That will enable you to bolt your lights from the board to them. And then get a square number plate with a number plate light above it.

Just use all the wiring and bits you have from your number board. Bit of a Scrap heap challange special.

Just looking at it. I would also maybe put some perferated chequer plate on the rear section. Give you somewhere to stand off the mud and wet grass to get changed. Or even a little work platform if you need to do any repairs.

Edited by hrc_monty

yes, looking at it, good idea.... some more checker [plate on that back section just before the wheel drop ins could prove usfull... i suppose i could even fashion some more tie downs etc and secure fuel can and tool box on there to save stinking the car out... ??? :rolleyes: then again, i supose the idea was to make it lighter !

ill have a look this week end at the posibilities for the lighting etc....

cost.....well.......... thats hard to answer.... it cost me a grundfos central heating pump and a randal 103 timer out of my van...hahahaha i fixed a freinds heating for him, he builds narrow boats/ barges etc and it a top welder with heaps of left over bits of steel lying round.....so, thats the way things work round here....never pay for anything. :icon_salut: tell a lie, ive spent 50p on pop rivets !!!! hahaha

i designed it, and helped with its fabrication... i stripped my old trailer down, painted this new one, fitted checker plate, lights, mudguards etc..... he did the welding.......... top bit of team work....hahahha

i reckon it would have cost around 180 - 200 quid in bits...suspension, wheels,hitch, muddys, steel, checker,lights etc etc

didnt take long to make either..... we had fun anyhoo..... :guinness:

ive told him that this is somthing trials riders would want but as far as i know,cant buy....

ill get a pic up of the wheel dollys we're making to slot into the frame and stand it up on end to wheel down the side of the garage.... then it'l be just frickin ace !!! hahaha

as a last thing on the wish list....id love to stick a smart set of mini wheels or somthing on it !!...not sure what would fit tho...?

so, for curiosity, given the fact it would cost aprox 200 quid to make.... how much would anyone be pre-pared to pay for one ? ghgc

the pictures dont really do it much justice to be fair and, my parts are canabalised off my old existing trailer...imagine how good it wood look if all the parts were new :rolleyes: my oh my, the ocd's kickin in again.....hahhaha

Edited by myzeneye

HaHa it's a credit to you.

Obviously the best part of it are the Trials UK Stickers. Good Lad!

yes i feel the need to adorn it with some more stickers... any shops bods on here feel like donating any let me know ... :rolleyes:

oh, and thanks for the kind words....

well, we made a class bike rack, now this trailer...

wonder what i can make next......???

• 1 month later...