Alwinton 2 Day Trial Northumberland

This afternoon I'm off to rural northumberland to a small village called Alwinton.

Bedlington and Seaton Delaval clubs in the North East Centre both run events in this area.

In September the Bedlington club are to stage a two day trial based at Alwinton which will use a new area next to the existing Bedlington trial. Today i'm going to walk round with Colin Battensby, club secretary, and see how many sections we can find. Hopefully we can run two days with two laps of 20 different sections.

It would be great to get riders from other parts of the UK to ride as well, its an excellent location with lots of natural terrain. There is limited accomodation in the area but there is also a campsite nearby.

I'm intending to update this thread with how the preparations are going, details of accomodation, entry forms etc.

I'll update early next week how today went.

the event is pencilled in for the 3/4th September.

David Moffat and Big John we are expecting you !

Cheers

Twin Shock ? Yes but will ride easiest course

Pre 65 ? Maybe terrain will be too much for a pre 65, depends on the rider though

Road work ? No

Sensible or silly ? Sensible, lots of natural terrain so should be proper no stop sections.

Whats the plans ? decision needed on easiest route, this maybe three laps of a shorter course each day to avoid some gulleys where the only way out is up.

Land looks really good two laps of twenty different sections each day for Hard / Middle routes.

Next stages are to take a working party up to fill in holes and move some bigger rocks out, start talking to providers of accomodation and get the entry forms out. We are also going to need at least 20 observers.

• 1 month later...

Entry forms are now available for the Alwinton 2 day trial.

Please visit the club website My link for entry forms and accomodation.

Course will be 3 laps of 15 sections on the Saturday of approximately 5 miles per lap

Sunday will be 2 laps of 20 different sections to the Saturday, approximately 7 miles per lap.

Both days are entirely off road.

Observers permitting there will be no double subs.

The terrain will be challenging in parts for pre 65s but we will endeavour to accomodate people wishing to ride a pre 65 on the easy course.

We have secured some additional land from what was first promised and now have two entirely new areas at our disposal. This is excellent trials land with lots of natural terrain and we intend to make this a thoroughly enjoyable event for all.

The actual course will be prepared over the next month and photos will be posted when available to show the terrain.

Any further questions please email me.

Entry forms are now available for the Alwinton 2 day trial.

Please visit the club website My link for entry forms and accomodation.

The terrain will be challenging in parts for pre 65s but we will endeavour to accomodate people wishing to ride a pre 65 on the easy course.

Any further questions please email me.

Entry forms state seperate route for Easy, Pre 65 and Twinshocks.

As you're judgement seems somewhat clouded of late, i.e. Bannana Suit, I've gone above your head and have it on the good authority of Harry Craig Pre 65's and Twin shocks will have good courses to ride.

You want a fiver on me getting the Cub further up the hill than you?

Entry forms state seperate route for Easy, Pre 65 and Twinshocks.

As you're judgement seems somewhat clouded of late, i.e. Bannana Suit, I've gone above your head and have it on the good authority of Harry Craig Pre 65's and Twin shocks will have good courses to ride.

You want a fiver on me getting the Cub further up the hill than you?

Yes there will be a seperate route which will be ridden by Easy course riders on any machine and those competing on pre 65's and twinshocks. There will also be clubman and expert routes.

We are hoping to get people from around the country who may expect a pre 65 class means an entirely seperate pre 65 route. Talking to Colin Battensby on monday night before posting this we thought it would be wise to make it clear its not a specific course for Pre 65s and some riding a pre 65 may, depending on the rider, find it challenging. I'm sure you will be fine however.

hope this clarifies.

Thanks Glenn

I was hoping your event would attract folk from other parts of the UK.

Was a tad worried that some people reading 'it will be challenging for pre 65's' might stay away.

We could do with, and i would welcome, a great two day event catering for the masses, to make it financially viable, but also catering for the growing number of twin shocks and Pre 65's in our region and farther afield.

You already have a cracking piece of land and with more added it can only get better.

Who know's even Ham2 might turn out!

My entry is winging it's way in .....no i didn't say winge..ing before you say it.

Please keep us posted

No problem Gary

I'm posting details on here as I said I would and i'm looking forward to getting involved in the coming weeks but its very much a club event rather than a Baldilocks event. I think we should aim to give everybody a course they enjoy whatever class or bike they choose to ride, with three courses that should be achievable.

• 2 weeks later...

Been to Alwinton today making sections, a long day but found some great stuff.

Colin, Andrew, James and Phillip Battensby, Ian Chilley and myself spent the day making sections in the first new gulley we have access to. Photos are on Photobucket, please click My link

For people who dont know the area I took one scenery shot to give you and idea of how good a location this is.

The Farmer turned up later and took us (on his quad, what a bloke !) over to the other new gulley we have access to. This looked really good but will need a lot of work before hand so we are going back on Sunday. I'll post more photos later.

Spent all day Sunday clearing more new sections with help from Ian and Callum Frizzel, Harry Craig and Team Battensby.

Colin Battensby has set up a facebook page for Bedlington Motor Club and photos of the sections we found on Sunday are now on there. Its looking really good, some more entries would be nice !

Been to Alwinton again all day setting the route between the sections and getting the slime scrubbed off.

Thanks to Peter Darke, Ian Stephens James, Phillip, Paul, Andrew and Colin Battensby.

All looking good for a great trial.

Just a reminder the nearest fuel station is about 8 miles away and its not cheap. Bring enough fuel for the weekend. I think you will need 8 litres Saturday based on starting with a full bike and another 6 for Sunday.

Cheers

Edited by Baldilocks

Looks and sounds like a fantastic trial. unfortunately can not ride it this year, hope to get there next year.

looking forward to reading some of the feed back from it and see a few pictures.

hope it all goes well, you cant beat a good multi day trial, :guinness: the more the merrier.

Really enjoyed the trial, cracking weather on the Sunday, and pretty good most of Saturday.

Good run round on both days with a variety of sections/routes, what more can you ask for.

The "liaison" burn section was fun!

Ross

Thanks for the positive feedback, on the whole we were very pleased with how the event went considering we havent run a two day before.

I think on balance the hard and middle course riders seemed happy with the event, certainly the riders I spoke to were.

The easy course was more of a mixed bag and its difficult to please everybody as this class has riders with different requirements.

We had some easy course riders retire on the saturday and sunday as parts of the course were too much for them. For next year we need to find an easier way down one of the hills in particular to make the trial more accessible. At the other extreme we had easy course riders who wanted more of a challenge and objected to riding the bank sides rather than the streams, this really only applied on saturday.

I would appreciate more feedback from those on the easy course, I think we need a straw poll and go with the majority as we are not going to be able to please everyone.

My two favourite comments of the weekend are both attributable to the same easy course rider, Colin Lee. On saturday during lap one he said " I think I have died and gone to trials heaven". Thats very positive feedback if you have put a lot of time into an event, thanks Colin.

On Sunday upon hearing some easy course riders were unhappy Colin said "well I'm SH*T but I'm enjoying it and you can quote me on that". Priceless !

I'd like to thank everyone who helped us out, particularly those riders who observed. If you thought about riding but didnt have a look at Ray Crinsons photos linked to the results on the front page and hopefully we'll see you next year.

We hope to have our own campsite and possibly some more land... I'll keep you posted.