Silver Dream Machine

jmo

Hi everyone - I thought you might be interested in a rebuild project I'm undertaking (well, hopefully nearly finishing in fact!)...

I always fancied a TLR200, mainly to use as an easy going trail bike, and also to enter a few twin-shock trials, but primarily because I thought they looked fantastic - the right balance between old and new etc etc.

So a little over a year ago I bit the bullet and bought a (mainly) tidy example sight-unseen from ebay - yikes!

Fortunately the bike seemed to have been well looked after, started easily and ran sweetly, and the main (expensive) bits - forks, wheels, bodywork - were all in good usable condition, and the frame had been repainted too... and fundamentally it was road registered which saved a lot of messing around and meant I could use it straight away!

So, here it was the day I got it home:

DSC00306.jpg

It looked pretty much as it did in the photos which was a relief, although on closer inspection there were a few niggles that needed sorting - fork seals, holes in the exhaust, odd and missing bolts, things like that...

But I cleaned it up and got it through an MoT and on the road pretty soon after:

DSC00359.jpg

The bike was such a hoot to ride on the trails, and I had some great weekends out on my own and with friends... however, the one thing I did find was just how poor the [drum] brakes are on a bike like this, especially if you use it on the road (in traffic!)...

So, despite some thinking it sacrilege, I decided to convert the front end to disc... fortunately an inmate here had a TLM220 that he wanted to convert to twinshock and drums, so we basically swapped the whole front end (fork legs, brake and wheel) as they both have 35mm stanchions, and it meant I could keep everything Honda, which was nice...

However, while everything bolted up ok (thanks to sloppy forks!), it turns out the tripple clamps on the TLM were a few mm wider, and although I was able to squeeze the wheel in to the forks mounted in my TLR tripple clamps, clearly the offset was skewed to one side...

DSC00827.jpg

(It actually looks ok in this photo, but the fork brace wouldn't fit properly, and once I'd removed the wheel and tried to reinsert it, the problem was obvious).

I ended up having a shorter spacer machined to replace the original TLM speedo drive, and ultimately decided I would get the front wheel relaced to correct [as much as I could] the offset...

Anyway, for most of the winter the TLR sat in the shed, mainly because I was busy with other projects, and the small matter of breaking my leg... twice.

So while I've been recuperating, over the last couple of months I decided to strip the bike down, and get various parts painted and powder-coated, and yes, even polished!

I picked up the frame and forks this last week, and over the weekend have been reassembling everything - and just had to share it with you!

Earlier today:

DSC02174.jpg

As you can see, I ended up getting the wheels re-rimmed and re-laced with new gold anodised rims and stainless spokes from Central Wheel - while the hubs themselves are in good original condition.

Rather than go for the obvious red, I decided to get the frame and swingarm powder-coated in satin black, along with a number of the other sundry parts, and also the fork legs, triple clamps, bashplate and exhaust (I bought a Delkevic last year to replace the patchy original item) polished - all this was done by Griffs Reality Motorcycle Works in Bristol - top fellas and the finish is first rate!

I then have spent most of this afternoon/evening, putting everything back together:

DSC02177.jpg

Routing the wiring and cables neatly, and just going through everything thoroughly... I resisted the temptation to replace every bolt with new stainless/socket heads etc. as I want to try and keep the feel of the original bike, and fundamentally keep it useable - not a show piece.

As such, and since the engine was running so sweetly anyway, I decided not to strip and repaint the engine, but leave it original, with the odd scuff on the cases - although to be honest from a few steps away it still looks in very good condition anyway...

So, the black and silver rolling chassis probably gives a clue to what colour the bodywork is going to be (erm, along with the title of this thread of course!)... again, rather than go for the obvious, I thought I'd pay homage to the earlier generation TLs...

But since it is now 1am, you're just going to have to wait until tomorrow until the bodywork is fitted!

Toot toot for now!

Jenny xx

Edited by JMo

Dear Jenny,

It seems rather obvious that you have not yet fully recovered from the head injury, might be classified as friggin nuts! Yet at the same time I say that, I have often found myself wanting to do the same thing to one of those bikes.

In a way, I think it a bit of a shame that nothing like that is available nowadays. Basic, functional, trail and trial. Yes, it could be improved upon a bit perhaps, but it seems the "fun"damentals are there.

On the flip side of things, I would also like something similar to a Dakar bike, but have not found it. Same principals, Low, comfortable, simple, air cooled , light, reliable. My little Serow does the trick about town, yet not good on the high speed roads.

We should stuff a few pigs, together! :thumbup:

On the flip side of things, I would also like something similar to a Dakar bike, but have not found it. Same principals, Low, comfortable, simple, air cooled , light, reliable.

Hee hee - these days a Dakar bike is none of those things!

I love the Serow (although prefer the way the Super Sherpa rides), and perhaps what your looking for will come to the States - GasGas have just built the bike I've always wanted - Google the 125 Randonee - but in a nutshell, it's the air-cooled Yamaha TTR125 engine, WITH the electric start, in a trails chassis but with a 4 litre tank, long-ride seat and full lighting/street legal... I have to have one!!!

In the meantime...

So, I was up early this morning, with the intention of finishing off the TLR...

DSC02180.jpg

It was like Christmas opening the box from the paintshop!

I also finished off fitting the exhaust, footrests (Pivot Pegz from my Tenere, modded to fit), new chain and sprockets etc.

DSC02179.jpg

And then, it was time for the bodywork, kick the little blighter into life, and go for a test ride!

Ready to go!

DSC02184.jpg

TL inspired paintwork:

DSC02185.jpg

Polished [original, dented] bashplate and raised front fender:

DSC02186.jpg

Sticky numberplate - I might go black and silver, even though it's not technically old enough...

DSC02191.jpg

Back from a successful test! - just need a front number board now!

DSC02189.jpg

Jx

A few more photos - once the sun had come out!

DSCF1348.jpg

DSCF1349.jpg

DSCF1352.jpg

DSCF1359.jpg

I trust you can see a few of the details from the photos, but I'm happy to answer any questions...

The best news was it passed it's MOT on Saturday, and I had a corking day out on the trails with it!

Jx

Good work Jenny!! :thumbup:

I'll be pleased to post on my web if you send me some pictures.

The Honda Trials History

www.onlytrial.com

Hi Jack - that would be great! - I'm honored you'd like to include it... I'll email you a few photos and a brief background/spec.

Jx

• 1 month later...

Can you tell where you purchased the exhaust system from ?

Yes, I got it from ebay - it's the Delkevic system (using the original front pipe) - I can't remember the seller, but I believe they are available from a number of trials parts suppliers either on ebay or via their own online/shop.

Jx

Edited by JMo