Evo 300 4T starting

slickgolf_0

Hi

Can anyone advise starting technique for the 4T , hot or cold sometimes she just will not start.

Compression is strong < I sometimes feel the de-compressor is not working properly.

New Iridium plug fitted , carb set as per Lampkins instruction , ticks over fine runs great!

Any advice or help appreciated

Thanks

I have found that the best technique is to open the throttle to 1/2 to 3/4 open as you kick start the machine. Don't hold the throttle at the open position, then kick it over; you need to open it as you kick it over. I have never needed to use the hot-start option with this technique, and only use it once it has been started from cold (with the choke) and the engine is warm. If starting cold, I use the choke, and turn off the choke as soon as possible once it starts.

Hope this helps

Spencer

The best way ive found is from cold give the throttle a little turn maybe 1/4 then let go turn choke on and give it a nice long kick and keep the kickstart down until it gets going ( only 2 sec ? ) always starts 1st or 2nd kick , from warm i always use the hot start and no throttle and again a slow long kick again keeping kickstart down until it gets going the only time it stuggles to start is when its been on its side and flooded at which point i turn the fuel off , open throttle fully then kick away and hope for the best :D

No throttle or just take the slake out of the cable.

Full choke when cold (note the choke has two clicks on it)

Kick slowly(ish) all the way through. DON'T jab the kick starter.

2 kicks when cold every time.

Notes

Jetting is very lean in the mid range when new to pass emissions testing.... so raise the needle all(or most of) the way up!

Air mixture screw approx 2.5 turns out - but experiment for fastest idle speed.

Fit a Jitsie air mixture screw to the carb (note there is a VERY small oring under the screw!).

Fit a NGK Iridum plug with 0.6mm gap.

Brilliant brilliant bike.

Edited by NZRalphy

Hi

Can anyone advise starting technique for the 4T , hot or cold sometimes she just will not start.

Compression is strong < I sometimes feel the de-compressor is not working properly.

New Iridium plug fitted , carb set as per Lampkins instruction , ticks over fine runs great!

Thanks

When you ride large (500 & 600cc+) singles, you learn a trick that is critical. Before you kick the bike with the intent to start it, push the kickstart through slowly, until you find top dead center. You will feel the bike move into the compression stroke, and then you ease it on until TDC is reached. Then, you kick it through. This allows the engine to spin up some flywheel momentum as you are now actually kicking through the power, exhaust, intake, and finally compression stroke. Going through those first 3 cycles first, before hitting compression stroke again, really makes a difference.

As mentioned in another post above, the Beta (Montesa 4RT as well) does not like to be kicked with aggression. Instead, you just push through nice and smooth. Mine always started super easy when brought to TDC, and then pushed through smooth.

Hi

Thanks

I test rode one last week. The owner recommended just taking the slack out of the cable. It started easily for me but I only rode it long enough to realize that it's the bike I would buy if a new bike were in the cards for me just now.