cannot get any pressure on brake lever? help

robnevs

after bleeding my front brake for about two weeks now, i still can't get any pressure at the lever.

the piston assey in the master cylinder is new, and every thing else appears good. fluid will go through the system , but with no build up of pressure on lever. its as if no fluid is being pushed at all. bike is an 08 rev3 270

anyone got any thoughts??????????

cheers for any help... rob

Hi

Take the top off the brake reservoir and remove the rubber insert. Start to Pull the lever in and out. You should see tiny air bubbles escaping from the hole at the bottom. Dont worry if you cant see bubbles, just keep pumping the brake lever until the fluid starts to leap out of the reservoir like a jumping salmon!. If you get this far your brake should work.

Also make sure that the adjustment on the lever itself is actually moving the piston in and out fully (use the adjuster screw on the lever and screw it out as far as possible (i.e not in otherwise the piston wont pump the fluid)

It is time consuming but keep at it and it should work!! Other schools of thought are using a syringe to fill the hydraulic pipe, but haven't tried this myself??

The above assumes that you have no leaks at the caliper (check the O ring)

Hope this helps.

Pete

I had this with my 06. release the adjuster screw as far OUT as you can at the lever this should ensure the very small hole as in the above post in clear.

Take off the reservoir cap.

Remove completely the bleed nipple and replace again, the nipple should only be out for 2 or secs.

Top up brake fluid.

Crack open bleed nipple and let gravity bleed the system. Keep topping up the fluid until you see nice clear liquid coming out of the bleed nipple.

Tighten bleed nipple and VERY gently apply pressure on the brake lever. You may need to VERY gently pump the brake lever until you get a firm brake.

I know a lot of people reading this will go on about pressure bleed, reverse bleed etc etc but this has worked for me for over many many years .

I had this with my 06. release the adjuster screw as far OUT as you can at the lever this should ensure the very small hole as in the above post in clear.

Take off the reservoir cap.

Remove completely the bleed nipple and replace again, the nipple should only be out for 2 or secs.

Top up brake fluid.

Crack open bleed nipple and let gravity bleed the system. Keep topping up the fluid until you see nice clear liquid coming out of the bleed nipple.

Tighten bleed nipple and VERY gently apply pressure on the brake lever. You may need to VERY gently pump the brake lever until you get a firm brake.

I know a lot of people reading this will go on about pressure bleed, reverse bleed etc etc but this has worked for me for over many many years .

And still true! But if you put new pads in it, they may still be soft as well.

Edited by copemech

Had this bother with my 09 evo. Just couldnt understand what was happening, any way, screw the lever adjuster right in, then pull the lever in, Ty-wrap the lever against your bar and leave for a day or two. Remove ty-wrap and pump your brake, should be good as new. We put it down to tiny air particles trapped in the oil. Same principal as putting the syringe on the bleed nipple and leave closed. Then pull the syringe and you'll see air bubbles appear from nowhere! Its these tiny air particles thats causing the brake to not pump up.

Let us know how you get on!

Steve

BRAKE NOW WORKS............. got it back home today from the bike shop. the mechanic could not fix it.

took it all apart including the seals and pistons ang gave it a good clean.(was not that dirty though)

rebuilt it and filled master cylinder, craked open bleed nipple and let it bleed with gravity. after sbout 3hrs of this and some normal pressure bleeding there was still NO pressure on the lever.

i gave up trying and had a fag. bike had not been started for about 3 weeks, so i kicked her over and revved for a few minutes.

ipulled the brake lever one more time........and felt pressure which built up each time i pulled it.

now brake works better than ever....the vibrations from the engine revving must have freed some air from somewhere..i think??

anyway it works now. THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS, GREAT HELP, CHEERS ALL ROB X