Lightened Flywheel for 247 Cota?

tonypcota247

I have a 1974 247 Cota and an extra flywheel among other spare parts.

Has anyone tried to lighten a flywheel for the 247?

If so, how much have you lightened the flywheel?

I have been told that "back in the day" some 247 riders had a selection of flywheels at different weights for different conditions.

Or does anyone have a suggestion for how much to lighten a flywheel?

Since I have a spare I just thought that it might be fun to experiment a little and maybe get a little snappier throttle response.

thanks for all input!

Tony P

Unionville, NC USA

Tony

I have gone through the process of lightening the flywheel on a couple of my TY250 motors. I did it in stages removing a bit at a time and trying all different types of riding to see what suited me. It took ages bgefore I was totally happy and I enjoyed the process. Flywheel effect is such a personal thing there really is no way that someone else can say what will be ideal for you. The two Cota 247s I have ridden had standard flywheels and while the 247 motor is slower at pickup than a modern bike, in my opinion the 247 motor performance is quite well suited to the handling and overall behaviour of the bike. Sure a lighter flywheel would be better for obstacles requiring double blip, but will be inferior in many other situations.