Mot Requirements.

boofont

I've just gone through an MOT and at first it failed on tyres 'Not for highway use' These were Michelin X11s. I had to fight the MOT'er and get him to contact Michelin for confirmation that these tyres are OK for highway use in the UK. If you get this problem have your garage call Michelin UK on 01782 401853 and speak to the technical manager Barry Robinson. He will inform the garage that the tyre is legal.

K

If what my man at Michelin says is true and I've no reason to agrue, your Dunlop will also be road legal. He stated that the FIM will not accept a trials tyre that is not fully road legal as to comply with the regs the tyre should be suitable for use on the trials where road work is included. He pointed out that any markings to the contrary on the tyre wall should state where these restrictions apply. North America was mentioned as they can only be used there for limited milage and at certain pressures. (though knowing the USA this may change state to state).

Look out for an E or e marking on the tyre that means its been accepted for European road use.

My garage questioned the tread patern too but the regulation states that the distance between the nipples cannot be bigger than the nipples themselves so its OK. Well on bikes at least, I wouldn't like to meet a girl who met this requirement.

My garage questioned the tread patern too but the regulation states that the distance between the nipples cannot be bigger than the nipples themselves so its OK. Well on bikes at least, I wouldn't like to meet a girl who met this requirement.

LOL :D

And I never put that unless I actually do laugh out loud :D

Keep it up, one day I may be able to give you a PM (p**sed myself).

Hmm, good to know but I wonder if my Dunlops are legal  :D

I have just checked the Dunlop's (D801) on my Bultaco and these are not road legal. I also have a Mitas thrown to the back of the garage, worst tyre I have ever tried but nothing on it to upset an MOT tester.

Twinnshock

I asked the following question to the MOT site.........

> I have a 2001 GasGas TXT Trials bike. It is for daylight use

> only but can you tell me if it needs a speedo for the MOT?

> It is only used on a couple of short sections of public road.

And the reply..........

> speedo is not part of the test.

So there you have it. :)

Don't need to bother with a speedo for my MOT :) even though I've bought one. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

There is a differance to MOT requirements and road legal. An MOT is for safety and as such, as far as I'm aware, the number plate is not checked. It is, however, subject to the law with respect to size. Its the same for speedo's, not required for an MOT but to ride on the road you should have one fitted. Confusing eh?

On the speedo front ,we only take the overall milage reading to put on the MOT so as the bike can not be clocked to show lesser readings.ie less abuse.

The number plate issue has nothing to do with a motorcycle test as yet,though when the computerisation of testing comes into play this may change.

There seems to be a bit of confusing information going around in this post re MOT regs.

I was pretty sure about a couple of things which have been missed out & have just checked with my friendly local MOT tester re 'Modern bikes'.

Number Plates

By the sounds of things (some testers may be leniant?) you will need to fit a legal number plate vertically or near to vertically on the bike - IT IS PART OF THE MOT REGS. What you do once you leave the test centre is up to you.

Reflector

This is missing off that MOT regs site (I used that site to prepare an old bike for an MOT a couple of years ago but checked the reflector regs before I tested it).

YOU WILL NEED A REFLECTOR, again vertical or near vertical EVEN FOR A DAYTIME MOT.

Brake Light - If you have lights you must have a brake light from both front and back brakes(only need one pre 86). If you go for a daytime MOT - no brakelight required BUT it is a legal requirement on the road apparently - I am just quoting what I have been told.

Sorry to be bearer of bad tidings but for the

Edited by g4321