New Guy With A Few Questions...

bigsaint

Dont go for a small pro i.e. a 200 as they dont come with the awesome marzochi front forks and although they have power it would probably have to be worked harder than say a 280.

Go for a red one, possibly 280 or 250, contrary to your belief the 300 is a bit more rideable than the 280 but doesn't look as good (My Opinion). If you do get a Pro treat it with respect, dont bash around the gears and change the filter after every use!!!!!! You shouldn't have to many problems.

Honda, I'm fairly certain I would be happy with most any of the offerings. I chose the Gas Gas as I like what it has to offer regarding equipment standard and also due to the fact that I have a dealer very close. I always do my own wrenching but it's nice to know I have someone close should a problem arise that is beyond my skills.

Thanks Jenk :)

Hey BigSaint -

I live just up the hill from you, in Highland Lakes (2 miles up 94). I've got a Beta, and my wife has an '02 GG200Pro and a '96 JTR270.

Lemme tell you something - that small bore Pro has NO problem with power. It slingshots my fat butt (6' 220 lbs) up pretty hairy stuff without breaking a sweat. Don't let the lower displacement fool you, this thing is a beast. Having said that, it's also twitchy and has a flywheel the size and weight of a credit card. You've gotta be pretty good to get its potential out of it. So - personally speaking - for a first bike Ithink one of the TXT models (the "regular" GG trials bike) would be more beneficial.

Drop me an email too, at notepad101@gmail.com Maybe you could come up here and try hers, and see for yourself.

(Are you using John France as your dealer, or Town and Country on rt.23? John is an outstanding fellow, and a real trustworthy dealer.)

I'll back up Buster on the little 200 having plenty of power...he speaks the truth. They're not nearly as demanding on revs as the "big bikes" (MX and Enduros that is). Yes, for big stuff you will definitely need to rev it more than a 280 or 300, but not like the difference between your KTM300 and a 125.

The bigger bore ones are simply torquier down low...which is good and bad in one. I think if you were to compare them to KTMs, the 200 is...well like a 200, the 280 is more like the KTM250 (little more aggressive power than the 200 or 300), while the 300, like your KTM is the torque monster, but very, very smooth. Although the actual weights are virutally identical, the 200 feels like it's 10lbs lighter when riding it.

You wise to purchase from your local dealer as supporting him will get you support in return in most cases. :) Definitely take Buster up on his offer, there's nothing like actually riding them.

Buster, I will take you up on that offer :) . Will send a email asap. I'm in Lake Panorama, just across the valley. I was going to use T+C, bought most of my bikes and the kids bikes from them with no complaints. Who is John France ???

Thanks again for your insight JTT , much appreciated !

What's the diff between the pro and the TXT ? I can't seem to find a specific TXT model listed on the GG site. Also, what the heck is a long ride ?

Guest Villie

The TXT Gas Gas has the same engine as the 2001 model, In 2002 they upgraded to the pro motor.

Gas Gas still sell the 2001 bike every year at a cheaper price to the pro, they simply stick new graphics on it, its kind of a budgetmodel, but its a lot stronger, and a lot different, i have ridden both in 125cc displacement and the pro i preffered for small turns, the TXT is heavier, but has more pull for doin trail kind of routes, the TXT is also stronger i think, having said that the PRO is definately better for the sections.

Gas Gas:

2002 TXT: http://www.gasgas.com/Pages/2002-s/TXT280-main.html

txt280-standard.gif

2005 PRO: http://www.gasgas.com/Pages/PDFs/2005-models/gg-05s.pdf

TXT280-Redx700w.gif

Looks best in red :)

I dont know much about the scorpas but i do know that the long ride has a 5 litre tank and a seat, the scorpa website describes it as "the perfect bike for long ride trial actions."

Scorpa:

2005 sy: http://www.scorpa.fr/english/sy_250/sy_250_01_racing_an.html

Sy-250-01.jpg

2005 scorpa Long Ride: http://www.scorpa.fr/english/sy_250/sy_250_02_long_an.html

photo1.jpg

Hope this helps and i hope this post works :)

Villie ;)

Edited by Villie

I think Villie pretty much summed it up. The TXT Edition is the "pre Pro" model that GasGas continued to produce kind of as "ol'reliable"....less expensive but well proven. Don't know if it's still even being offered in 2005 though.

The "long ride" is an attempt to put a seat and big tank on a trials chassis making it more "trailbike" like. Neat idea, but where you already have a proper trail/dirt bike it might not be as appropriate for your application...unless you truely want to do extensive trail riding.

I always do my own wrenching but it's nice to know I have someone close should a problem arise that is beyond my skills.

The "pro" has a "unique" shifting mechanism which is incredibly light and compact, however it will break if the shift lever is struck or even shifted too firmly. When this occurs the cases have to be split, which is very labor intensive and time consuming. If light weight is worth this risk, better get yourself a flywheel puller and set aside a few weekends a year to work on this wonderful advanced design bike. JTT, I don't own one but I fix alot of them for others who feel this job is beyond their skills. I feel this qualifies me to speak on the subject. :) Jay

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all of your help and wisdom. I have learned alot already !

For the Jersey guys... I will get back to both of you a.s.a.p. Work and family has been very time consuming these last few days. Please don't take my lack of immediate response as a lack of interest :)

As I type this we are getting more snow ;) . Winter is just refusing to leave lol.

Thanks again, y'all have a great forum and I will be back posting more questions in a very short time !

Scott