Novogar Boots - rubbing

trialtrial

Does anyone have novogar boots that rub at the outside of the ankle bone? What did you do to fix it? The fold of the boot at the ankle pushes inwards and rubs the crap out of my ankle bone. Only on my right foot.

Mine did the same thing, and it really was bothersome. At first I cut the tops off of a couple of thick socks and would pull those pieces over my socks at the ankle heights before putting my boots on. I have wide feet and I have to wear thin socks with my boots on - so I have very little padding at my ankles with the thin socks on.

Later I found out that if I tighten the buckles around the ankle tighter - the leather is pulled and it does not rub my ankle nearly as much.

Mine were tight on the side of my foot, I heated the boots with a hot air gun, put thick socks on and cranked up the buckles uncomfortablly tight and walked around with them

It kind of forms the boot to your foot, maybe give that a try, maybe steam would work for the leather parts

Does anyone have novogar boots that rub at the outside of the ankle bone? What did you do to fix it? The fold of the boot at the ankle pushes inwards and rubs the crap out of my ankle bone. Only on my right foot.

You could try fitting a thick insole inside (both) boots. This would raise your feet above the offending fold of leather. If there isn't enough room for your toes with the thick insoles, try heel raises, again in both boots, to keep you level.

I would also get hold of some Chiropody (Podiatry) felt. This is 5mm or 7mm thick felt with a sheet of adhesive on one side. You could cut out a shape about 3 inches in diameter, with chamfered edges, with a 'cavity' cut out on the inside to protect your ankle bone. With dry skin, you would stick this pad directly onto your skin to protect the area and then use stretch surgical tape to hold the pad in place, and finally carefully pull your sock on to help hold it all in place.

I suspect that raising your foot position, and protecting your ankle bone should do the trick.

You would have to fit a new pad each time you rode, but eventually, the leather should stop rubbing.

There's nothing worse than boots that rub. I guess you are just unlucky that the fold aligns with your ankle bone. Try the thick insole or heel raise first, it may raise you up enough to help.

Peter

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the tips guys - I will give them a go!

Find a saddle and cowboy boot repair shop, if you can. they have all kind of "trade secrets" (hammers and skill0 to fix that problem especially ankle area where semi easy to get to. Did this with cowboy boots i have had still for 15 years. Im sure a good place with boot guy can do it, but it is a quickly to be lost art.

Edited by Sting32