Snatchy on the clutch

kayloe

Any help please, I have an Evo 290 2009 and has a weight fitted to the mag which was on when i purchased the bike. I love the bike but when riding slow tight stuff i find it snatchy and easy to push the front wheel away. Gearing is 10/41 so previous owner dropped front by 1 already. How can i smooth it out when on the slow tight stuff? drop to a 9 front?? could i ride off the clutch more then? slow action throttle i dont think would help?and i love the power anyway. Would the clutch mod help and maybe remove a couple of springs? Please help before i move over to the dark side (gasgas) :lol:

cheers kay

Any help please, I have an Evo 290 2009 and has a weight fitted to the mag which was on when i purchased the bike. I love the bike but when riding slow tight stuff i find it snatchy and easy to push the front wheel away. Gearing is 10/41 so previous owner dropped front by 1 already. How can i smooth it out when on the slow tight stuff? drop to a 9 front?? could i ride off the clutch more then? slow action throttle i dont think would help?and i love the power anyway. Would the clutch mod help and maybe remove a couple of springs? Please help before i move over to the dark side (gasgas) :lol:

cheers kay

All comes down to throttle and clutch control, so the slow throttle would most likely help you out, as would the clutch mod pinned to the top of the Beta section. Feel free to jump to the "dark side" if you like, but you will find that the same throttle and clutch skills apply to all brands. :D

Hi Kay,

My 2009 290 Evo (with flywheel weight fitted) is a pussycat! I know what you mean about 'clutches that push', as it were. I babysit for my friend's 280 TXT Pro and I can't ride it at all. I consider I have pretty good throttle and clutch control, but the clutch/ throttle relationship on that bike is hard work. However, the truth is, if I rode it more, I'd get used to it.

It's worth doing the clutch mod and ensuring you have the correct level of the correct oil. Slow action throttle WILL help (easing the clutch out with no throttle won't push the front; if you have even slightly too much it will, so better control off the bottom has to help). Other than that, get in the garden and practice figure of 8s until you are so dizzy you've forgotten all about the clutch!

Graham

try the spring extenders a part available from beta, this will help.

the weight taken off will stop over run a litlle reducing the need for you to use the clutch so much.

try it you may like it. Beware screws are soft and need the EXACT PHILLIPS DRIVER.

Thanks Guys, looks like i need to do clutch mod first then maybe slow action throttle but i love the way the power is delivered now its just that slow clutch throttle combination i need to work on i think.

Cheers kay

The clutch mod will completly change the caricter of the clutch. The engagement will be very smooth and predictible no more grabby clutch. Also lower the trans oil level to 425cc. I had considered removing a tooth from the front sprocket before the clutch mod, but after the mod i like the stock gearing just fine. I can often ride many intermediate sections in second gear because the clutch is now easy to use.

Edited by Liviob

Nigel, Do you mean take flywheel weight off?

cheers kay

yes i do, its only 3 screws.

there is this common misconception it some how transforms the power, when all it does is slow down pick up a little but does exactly the same at the other side making the motor run on.

unless you have next to zero throttle control my opinion from owning one of these bikes the quicker shut off and therefore less use of the clutch and brake to slow down is a real advantage.

dont get me wrong its horses for courses but try the weight off it may work for you.

as an over 50 rider i found this a lovely bike and really quite soft. 1st is low as well but long.

i am guessing but i think the extra weight may be your problem.......

Thanks all sounds like a weekend in the Garage.

cheers kay