Pre 65 trials in Scotland

broony

Does anyone know what's happening to the Pre 65 scene in

Scotland.I know of 2 riders who ride Pre 65 bikes at

all the trials I rode this year(I was riding a Scorpa).

There seems to be plenty of twin shocks but the lack of

Pre 65's is noticeable,is it because the trials are being

laid out for modern bikes and are to difficult.I've heard

that some events that are supposed to be for Pre 65 are just

too difficult.Hopefully things will get better and Pre 65 will

pick up.Away up the shed to get on with the C15(at least that'll

be another Pre 65 on the entry ;)).

cheers the noo Brian

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know what's happening to the Pre 65 scene in

Scotland.I know of 2 riders who ride Pre 65 bikes at

all the trials I rode this year(I was riding a Scorpa).

There seems to be plenty of twin shocks but the lack of

Pre 65's is noticeable,is it because the trials are being

laid out for modern bikes and are to difficult.I've heard

that some events that are supposed to be for Pre 65 are just

too difficult.Hopefully things will get better and Pre 65 will

pick up.Away up the shed to get on with the C15(at least that'll

be another Pre 65 on the entry ;)).

cheers the noo Brian

Hi Brian Same down here too. Last trial not one Pre65 in the Expert or Intermediate class and only two on the Clubman route and one of them was me. Looking like Pre65 or Pre70 or whatever you want to call it is dead in the water at the moment. Problem is if you lay a course out with them in mind and none turn up whats the point plus the rest of the already dwindling entries who do make the effort to support the club find it too easy. Hmmm will see what happens the over the rest of the year but it is looking like the owners of British bikes dont want to get their "investments" dirty. Shame cos at this rate coarse setters wont bother setting out a course with them in mind when they cant be bothered to turn up and then it becomes self perpetuating. Again sad to see the demise of the British bike classes. Hope it doesnt come to that but it's looking like it.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Hi broony

This topic has rattled around up here for as long as I have had a pre65, approx 20yrs.

Scottish Classic club trials cater pretty well for pre65, also twin shock.

Apart from that there's only Kinlochleven and the Highland 2 day, the AMCA seem reasonable to, but I have only been to 2 of them so cant really comment.

I wish there were more, its not quite the same if there's only a handful of bike to compete against.

Club only trials seem to be better than nationals where the pre65 and twin shock are lumped together.

Ross

Hi Brian Same down here too. Last trial not one Pre65 in the Expert or Intermediate class and only two on the Clubman route and one of them was me. Looking like Pre65 or Pre70 or whatever you want to call it is dead in the water at the moment. Problem is if you lay a course out with them in mind and none turn up whats the point plus the rest of the already dwindling entries who do make the effort to support the club find it too easy. Hmmm will see what happens the over the rest of the year but it is looking like the owners of British bikes dont want to get their "investments" dirty. Shame cos at this rate coarse setters wont bother setting out a course with them in mind when they cant be bothered to turn up and then it becomes self perpetuating. Again sad to see the demise of the British bike classes. Hope it doesnt come to that but it's looking like it.

Hi paul could the missing british bikes be due to the northern british bike round being held less than two miles away from your trial on the same day.

there are plenty pre65 bikes in scotland but dont get used.they get them out for the scottish pre65,and after its finished they are washed and put back in the shed till next year.if they used them the clubs would cater for them.the only one that gets used all year is murray whittaker and you dont hear him complaining,he just gets on and enjoys it.i run a scottish championship at the weekend and yes the only pre65 was again murray.our dunfermline club trials have a beginner/novice route,ideal for pre65 but none enter.i run a c/to/c a few years back and about 3 pre65 were there and all complained the sections were to tight.i told them when the next c/to/c was and were welcome to come and lay out there own sections,surprise surprise they didnt appear.i have nothing against pre65 i have one myself,but due to my illness i cant ride it. but what else can we do to get them to ride them.our next c/to/c is on the 2nd october,if anybody wants to enter phone me beforehand and i will lay sections to suit.cant do anymore than that.willie.

Forgot to mention, and you probably knew there was a Scottish Classic on Sunday past,from memory there were

2 pre65's and several Bultaco's, James Turpie's Suzuki and my SWM + modern bikes and schoolboys.

Well laid out Graham Miller (with help?)

Hi paul could the missing british bikes be due to the northern british bike round being held less than two miles away from your trial on the same day.

Some yes looking at the results but the British Bikes entries have been slowly declining over the last 3 years. Michael Attmore and Derek Carson being the only two regulars in the Intermediate Class and Peter Carson being the only regular in the Experts all three were riding in the NBBR. Our event was planned and publicised from October 2010 and was even a round of the East Midlands ACU Classic Championship but even that didnt get even one entrant in the Expert and Intermediate classes. I cant comment on other areas but my personal opinion is that by and large the owners of British Bikes arent short of a bob or two so they, unlike the rest of us, can afford to be more selective about where and when they ride their British Bikes which is fair enough. I know a lot of the riders who used to come to our trials now travel much further afield and prefer trials with road work and larger laps. Of course riders will always vote with their feet but i feel that in the future British Bikes will be more evident at the bigger name events and will be seen less and less at trials that try to cater for all classes i.e twinshocks, air cooled monos etc and will gravitate to British Bike only trials. Just my humble opion BTW. :popcorn:

aye thats why the scottish championship has poor entries when clubs run c/to/c when there is a championship on. they could have ran the c/to/c on the saturday.if they had entered the championship trial i would have laid the sections to suit.instead we had 1 pre65 and 6 t/shocks.as you said ross 2 pre 65 at the scottish classic, and again where are the rest.still in the shed waiting for the scottish pre 65.theres not an easy answer.

Hey Willie

Dont forget me !

My Tiger Cub sooked in a screw so its been pulled to bits for the last few weeks.

I will get it back this weekend and plan to start using it at some of our club events.

I love the look and sound of the old bikes , they go far better than I imagined , even with me on it !!!

Watch out the pre65 wobblers

Looks like its a nation wide problem,judging

by other posts.Some sort of Scottish Championship

would make sense,surely the sacu along with the big

clubs could sort something out.Half a dozen rounds

over the year would be ideal.Ian hope the Cubs no

too bad.

cheers the noo Brian