270 engine strip down

tomtom385

Just take your time take plenty of photos as you strip it down & consult forum for advice!

Cheers mate,

Not as bad as i thought it would be. Left the kickstart and gear selecter in-situ which may have held the gearbox internals in place. glad i bought dead blow mallets. inside of the stator flywheel was very rusty though, i believe that it is condensation. Whats best, seal it, or open it after every outing and let it dry out. Seems to have an extra wieght on the flywheel as well, what does this do?

The mains are really rumbling, so they are going to be changed. not sure about the big end. no real up and down play, top of the rod does have play side to side, i am thinking its gone, but not sure. anyone got an idea.

Cheers,

Tom,

Cheers mate,

Not as bad as i thought it would be. Left the kickstart and gear selecter in-situ which may have held the gearbox internals in place. glad i bought dead blow mallets. inside of the stator flywheel was very rusty though, i believe that it is condensation. Whats best, seal it, or open it after every outing and let it dry out. Seems to have an extra wieght on the flywheel as well, what does this do?

The mains are really rumbling, so they are going to be changed. not sure about the big end. no real up and down play, top of the rod does have play side to side, i am thinking its gone, but not sure. anyone got an idea.

Cheers,

Tom,

Rods always have a bit of rocking and side to side play, should have no up-down and rotate smoothly.

Venting the cover by removal or a 3mm drain hole is your option. Weight is optional and slows the revs.

Sounds as though you need to get the rumbling loose mains an seals out and you will be OK, Very typical unless you find worse! :thumbup:

Rods always have a bit of rocking and side to side play, should have no up-down and rotate smoothly.

Venting the cover by removal or a 3mm drain hole is your option. Weight is optional and slows the revs.

Sounds as though you need to get the rumbling loose mains an seals out and you will be OK, Very typical unless you find worse! :thumbup:

Copemech,

Thanks for the reply, new parts ordered, after speaking to Alan at feetup. have come to the conclusion that the big end has gone. sort of knew that really, never heard mains knock like that before. fell on the floor at the price of a new crank, not alot difference between that and a con rod kit with the fitting. but have to bite the bullet, but at least i know it will last for a while, if all but a bit painful. anything to watch out for in the reassembly process?

tom,