Sherco hot muffler

trialdude

Hi guys!

Just recently bought a Sherco 320 2005 for a good price, with the regular starting problems.

So, started of by adjusting the valve shims, and did a full service on the engine.

Started good, but after a couple "high" rpm throttle openings the spark plug was dry fouling.

After a while it would not even idle. Or start.

So i changed the main jet to a smaller, and now it is running OK through the whole registry.

And it is not the same bike.

I still have a major concern about this.

The muffler gets relly hot. So hot the muffler plastic guard melts if it pressed onto it.

Is it supposed to be this way?

The mixture is not to lean.

Plug reading says chocolate brown to rich black.

New sparkplug, cleaned airfilter, cleaned carb a couple of times, no clogging, nor in any hoses or vents.

Fan and cooling is working, so not overheating or boiling anything.

Sprayed start gas for any air leakage but cant find any.

Gas tank pressure hose is ok.

Any thoughts?

hello,

i had an 2007 320 and they get really hot, i had a few burnmarks on my arms from the exhaust

i can a 24 mm oko carb and my bike was a first kick starter hot or cold

i took the automatic decompresser out so no more strange noise it needed a firm kick but it was working fine

they are great bikes and you can make them grip better by increasing the flywheelweight (not a simple job but i can give you the phone number of someone who does it for you)

enjoy the bike and change engine oil frequently

best regards bob

i had a similar problem on my 250 around a month or so ago.. running rediculasly hot.... back mudgaurd, silecner plastic trim etc etc starting to melt...i was told it was probably an oil build up in silencer...but no...... my own suspician was it was the timing was to far advanced causing it to run lean and hot.....

weather its a coincidence or not, this few weeks later my stator coil has threw its hand in. looks like its gonna be rather expensive to put right.i reckon the two issues are deffo related.... i beleieve heat can effect them too and make it apear as a intermitant fault before total failiure....

may not be this, but its worth a mention to see if my symptoms match yours and they end up resulting in the same thing...

bleeding bikes beginging to cost me a small fortune..... :rolleyes:

hope its not your stator...good luck with it.

mat

Edited by myzeneye

i had a similar problem on my 250 around a month or so ago.. running rediculasly hot.... back mudgaurd, silecner plastic trim etc etc starting to melt...i was told it was probably an oil build up in silencer...but no...... my own suspician was it was the timing was to far advanced causing it to run lean and hot.....

weather its a coincidence or not, this few weeks later my stator coil has threw its hand in. looks like its gonna be rather expensive to put right.i reckon the two issues are deffo related.... i beleieve heat can effect them too and make it apear as a intermitant fault before total failiure....

may not be this, but its worth a mention to see if my symptoms match yours and they end up resulting in the same thing...

bleeding bikes beginging to cost me a small fortune..... :rolleyes:

hope its not your stator...good luck with it.

mat

Thank you for the fast answers

Did your 4t get that hot out of stock?

The 4t has an CDI box for the ignition timing. And have a good spark too.

It runs really good, no sputtering or something like that.

Do the silencer have any damping wool at all?

How did you clean the carbonized oil/gas in the silencer?

Edited by Trialdude

Yes, the Sherco 4t's muffler does get very hot! Never melted the guard on mine though. Interesting thing is, seems the hotter the day, the hotter the bike is, the better it runs!

On a 2t a hot muffler would indicate a ignition issue. Friend of mine had that and it ended up being a loose flywheel.