2011 Peak Trial

Hi all, the regs are now out for the Merle Morewood Peak Trial on Sunday 6th November 2011.

The trial is the final round of the Luscombe Suzuki Leeds British sidecar trials championship.

The trial features all the sidecar classes plus a completely separate route for Expert solos and a solo clubmen route.

The sidecars will take in 2 laps at Elmore Hill Farm, back to the start to refuel and change punch card, then 2 laps at the infamous Backtor.

The solo route is a single lap of approx 34-36 sections starting with 8 at Elmore Hill farm including the infamous graded hill climb! Then a further 12 in the stream at the fantastic Offerton Hall. Riders will then return to the start to change punch card and refuel. The route will then take the solos up to the rocks of Backtor for 14-16 sections (this has yet to be finalised).

The time allowance this year will also be increased by a further 15 mins as in the past it is a bit of a rush at Backtor. The club received feedback that the expert route was a touch on the tough side. This will be rectified this year and will offer a good challenge to all the riders. The clubman route will be a similar standard to the Dave Rowland/Northern Experts clubman route and offers some cracking hazards to have a go at without anybody hurting themselves.

It would be great to see a bigger entry of solos this year as the club puts a lot of hard work into making the trial a good day out.

So dont be shy and get your regs downloaded from www.trialstalk.co.uk

Entries close on Monday 31st October.

Any further info can be obtained from the event secretary Gill Morewood on 01246 417140.

Hope to see some new riders entering this year

Cheers

Edited by tricky dicky

Hi all, the regs are now out for the Merle Morewood Peak Trial on Sunday 6th November 2011.

The trial is the final round of the Luscombe Suzuki Leeds British sidecar trials championship.

The trial features all the sidecar classes plus a completely separate route for Expert solos and a solo clubmen route.

The sidecars will take in 2 laps at Elmore Hill Farm, back to the start to refuel and change punch card, then 2 laps at the infamous Backtor.

The solo route is a single lap of approx 34-36 sections starting with 8 at Elmore Hill farm including the infamous graded hill climb! Then a further 12 in the stream at the fantastic Offerton Hall. Riders will then return to the start to change punch card and refuel. The route will then take the solos up to the rocks of Backtor for 14-16 sections (this has yet to be finalised).

The time allowance this year will also be increased by a further 15 mins as in the past it is a bit of a rush at Backtor. The club received feedback that the expert route was a touch on the tough side. This will be rectified this year and will offer a good challenge to all the riders. The clubman route will be a similar standard to the Dave Rowland/Northern Experts clubman route and offers some cracking hazards to have a go at without anybody hurting themselves.

It would be great to see a bigger entry of solos this year as the club puts a lot of hard work into making the trial a good day out.

So dont be shy and get your regs downloaded from www.trialstalk.co.uk

Entries close on Monday 31st October.

Any further info can be obtained from the event secretary Gill Morewood on 01246 417140.

Hope to see some new riders entering this year

Cheers

Perhaps an easier clubman route would encourage a bigger entry of solos, Dave Rowland and Northern Experts clubman routes take marks off riders who ride expert at club level, and there are plenty of events likewise. How about a clubman route that is set more for as a club trial clubman route, twinshock and Brit bikes. Would be good to have more road events pitched at that level.

Have to agree with 5again comments.

I made a return to the event last year, after a 10year break.

The last sections at Offerton & Backtor were dangerous for an

average clubman rider.

But that's just my opinion - some will say MTFU ?

I will not be entering this year.

This is exactly what we want, some feedback! It's not viable laying 3 routes out so that is out of the equation straight away. The main problem in the past has been a lack of consistency with the sections as the solo clubmen usually ride the sidecar route and it's way too easy. What then happens is because it's too easy there has to be some sections to decide the trial and we got this wrong last year. We are running the solo routes completely separate this year so the standard of the clubman route will be much more like a standard clubman route and nothing like last year. This trial used to be a Normandale round in the past so expect something very similar to that.

Not commenting on this trial as i have never ridden it but one thing that does come to mind is the reference to "Clubmen". Now at our trials the easiest route is denoted as the "Clubman route" the middle route as the "Intermediate route" and the hardest route as the "Expert route" However this is not the same everywhere as i notice some clubs have "Clubman routes" but they are definately too severe for the riders of our "Clubman route".

I think sometimes this is where some riders get confused and enter trials which they have no experience of thinking that as they ride the "Clubman route" at their local club then the severity of the sections will be similar and of course that is not always the case.

Did once think of calling the route of least severity at our trials the "Easy route" however i decided not to as this sounded derogatory and some would also say "Easy thats not easy!" Then again what is easy to one rider is hard or impossible to another as every Clerk of the course knows all too well.

Good luck with the trial BTW.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Not commenting on this trial as i have never ridden it but one thing that does come to mind is the reference to "Clubmen". Now at our trials the easiest route is denoted as the "Clubman route" the middle route as the "Intermediate route" and the hardest route as the "Expert route" However this is not the same everywhere as i notice some clubs have "Clubman routes" but they are definately too severe for the riders of our "Clubman route".

I think sometimes this is where some riders get confused and enter trials where they have no experience of thinking that as they ride the "Clubman route" at their local club then te severity of the sections will be similar and of course that is not always the case.

Did once think of calling the route of least severity at our trials the "Easy route" however i decided not to as this sounded derogatory and some would also say "Easy thats not easy!" Then again what is easy to one rider is hard or impossible to another as every Clerk of the course knows all too well.

Now that reply is just the sort of thing that causes confusion.

This is exactly what we want, some feedback! It's not viable laying 3 routes out so that is out of the equation straight away. The main problem in the past has been a lack of consistency with the sections as the solo clubmen usually ride the sidecar route and it's way too easy. What then happens is because it's too easy there has to be some sections to decide the trial and we got this wrong last year. We are running the solo routes completely separate this year so the standard of the clubman route will be much more like a standard clubman route and nothing like last year. This trial used to be a Normandale round in the past so expect something very similar to that.

Too hard for the occasional club, clubman.

I really hope you get the entry you deserve, god knows its tough enough putting the hours into organising a club trial, let alone a road event with all the route and landowners to keep happy. But IMHO (respectfully) there already is enough events offering this level of route, i.e. the Normandale rounds, which are well represented in this general area, and the other road events you mentioned, especially this time of year.

In Sport.

• 2 weeks later...

I think sometimes this is where some riders get confused and enter trials where they have no experience of thinking that as they ride the "Clubman route" at their local club then te severity of the sections will be similar and of course that is not always the case.

OFT just wanting to do things different and undermine evreyone else as usual because he knows best !

OFT just wanting to do things different and undermine evreyone else as usual because he knows best !

I was just offering a p.o.v. from the perspective of someone who has been riding in trials for the last 44 years. Think youre stretching things a bit to call it "undermineing" ? I was just trying to be constructive as the term "Clubman" is used to mean so many different levels of rider i just suggested it might be a source of confusion to riders who rode Clubman and then found the course much harder than they expected. Not saying the severity was too hard just not what they possibly expected. Whatever at least youve recognised i know best so you are on the way to recovery.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Hi Guy's.

Hi "Old Trials Fanatic"

Or is that now "Old Fanatic At Trials"?

If nothing else you keep the ball rolling.

PS. Just had a quick ride on "Bessie" the other day, she says Hello!! :banana2: :banana2:

Regards Charlie.

Hi Charlie.

Glad the old girl is still going strong and in good hands :thumbup:

I think there's a faction on here who would choose Old Fanatic At Riding Trials :chairfall:

It's a poor show when you cant even make a constructive observation isnt it. :frosty::popcorn:

Hope the weather warms up for the weekend and to stay on topic hope the weather is kind for the Peak trial.

All I will say is that it's a national event, it should be harder than a club trial and riders should rise to the occasion instead of having no challenge at all. If you're not up to the job then dont enter, it's quite simple! I've given an insight into what the standard of the trial is and if people don't want to ride then that's their choice.

• 2 weeks later...

All I will say is that it's a national event, it should be harder than a club trial and riders should rise to the occasion instead of having no challenge at all. If you're not up to the job then dont enter, it's quite simple! I've given an insight into what the standard of the trial is and if people don't want to ride then that's their choice.

Well put Mr Dicky

You are 100% correct.

This is a national event.

On the subject of National events and the Normandale Traditional Nationals - the events that enjoy the greatest support are the ones that offer a genuine challenge without the risk of serious injury.

Club trials are a different event and severity (I'm sure that will not need pointing out to certain members who have been riding trials for 44 years).

From what I can see from your posts, you have listened to feed back from people who have ridden (and endured constructive observations from people who haven't) in the event and taken this on board.

I hope the event is a sucess.

From someone who has ridden and supported the event many times over the years and has also been riding trials over 40 years (not quite know it all status yet).