TLR 250 Help

lynchy

First of all you'll need to know the Honda part reference, for that I strongly recommend you to visit this link of my friend site Honda-Trials from UK:

http://www.honda-trials.com/_sgg/m8m5_1.htm

Knowing references you need, you can try to find the part at one of the best Honda original spares European site at following link:

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda_model8286/

The Honda references consist of 5 digits (function part) followed by 3 more digits (model code) and 3 more (classification).

If the part reference has a black dot at left side means that is a RSC or HRC part (probably difficult to find due to limited productions). Probably you will have no problems, TLR250 was serial production Honda model.

Hope this info will be usefull for you,

Kind regards,

The Honda Trials History

www.onlytrial.com

Thanks for the help, I've tried David Silvers but he has only a few parts for the 250, I have seen Honda trials.com but it's only a supplement to the tl/125 tlr200 workshop manual.Also tried csmnl but they don't list the 250. Does anyone know if engine parts from the 200 will fit or I'm I better looking for the rs250 parts which I guess are even harder to find. I.m trying to do a top end rebuild + cam chain complete for now.But who knows what else I might find.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I'm trying to rebuild a TLR250 (ME07) engine and really need some help locating a parts list and the best place to get the parts from, can anyone help thanks

Me too. I've about 70% of an ME07 engine bottom half in not great shape. I'm having a frustrating time trying to figure out what I've got and without a parts manual I'm not even sure all the gears are actually for an ME07 engine and what the commonality (if any) is with the TLR200 (MD09) engine and the other Honda singles in the same family (XR200 etc).

I've counted all the teeth on the gears and made a table for reference; when I feel it is definitive I will post it for info.

MS 3rd/4th is 20/22T but CS 4th is 26T which gives a 4th gear of 1.182, not 1.227 as per the specification. I suspect the CS 4th pinion is TLR200, in which case it is the wrong Pitch Circle Diameter?

Does anybody have a parts manual for an ME07 engine and would scan the transmission page for me? Anybody want to sell me a parts manual?

Thankyou in advance.

Edited by Esteve

Me too. I've about 70% of an ME07 engine bottom half in not great shape. I'm having a frustrating time trying to figure out what I've got and without a parts manual I'm not even sure all the gears are actually for an ME07 engine and what the commonality (if any) is with the TLR200 (MD09) engine and the other Honda singles in the same family (XR200 etc).

Oh, and it definitely needs a new countershaft as I deduce a previous owner welded the sprocket on at some stage and then ground through the shaft to split the cases - its not pretty.

I've counted all the teeth on the gears and made a table for reference; when I feel it is definitive I will post it for info. What confuses me with the 2nd gear pinions is that I count MS = 17T and CS = 33T, but on the TLR200 CS is also 33T with 16T on the MS - is that right, so the CS pinsion for the 200 and 250 have different size teeth and pitch circle diameter - or the MS pinion I have is actually TLR200? The RTL 250S 1989 manual (one of the links in this thread) show a 17/33 combination for 2nd gear.

Does anybody have a parts manual for an ME07 engine and would scan the transmission page for me? Anybody want to sell me a parts manual?

Thankyou in advance.

I'm not really familiar with these engines but there are part fiches here for the 1986 TLR200 http://www.xtremeusa.com/fiche_select2.asp?category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1986&fveh=3710

And here for the 1976 TL250 http://www.xtremeusa.com/fiche_select2.asp?category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1976&fveh=3709

I'm not really familiar with these engines but there are part fiches here for the 1986 TLR200 http://www.xtremeusa...=1986&fveh=3710

And here for the 1976 TL250 http://www.xtremeusa...=1976&fveh=3709

Thankyou for the XTREMEUSA link, some useful stuff there for my TLR200.

I've been calculating ratios for the gear cluster that came with the TLR250 ME07 cases and 17/33 is probably correct for 2nd as the ratio is 1.941 (as per the specification). Those pinions are on the way out anyway and will need to be replaced; I suspect they came from a different engine given their condition versus the rest.

What now puzzles me is the 26T Countershaft 4th gear as with 22T on the MS 4th the ratio is 1.182, and it should be 1.227. The RS250TA has the same ratios as the TLR250; 4th on the RS250TA is CS=27T, MS=22 (actually 20/22T as 3rd and 4th MS gears are a single sliding pinion) so the 26T CS 4th in my engine is not standard?

Can anybody help me with the TLR250 transmission parts page?

Edited by Esteve

OK. Thankyou. Someone pm'ed me and pointed me in the direction of a manual in French so presumably the same one.

4th gear on the TLR250 (ME07) should be CS=27T, MS=22T so it looks like somebody put a 26T TLR200 pinion on the CS, unless it is a legitimate pairing (but having scoured parts books and specs I can't find a 22/26 4th gear pairing anywhere)?

I am accustomed to the cub gearbox where adding the teeth on each of the MS and LS gear pairings = 45, so was a bit thrown by e.g. comparing 2nd gear on the TLR250 and the TLR200, 17/33 vs 16/33: same number of teeth on the CS pinion but they can't be the same pinion as the pitch circle diameter needs to be different.

I'll tidy up my Excel spreadsheet of all the ratios and part numbers and post it, or the tables anyway, ASAP.

Thankyou everybody for your help.

I am accustomed to the cub gearbox where adding the teeth on each of the MS and LS gear pairings = 45, so was a bit thrown by e.g. comparing 2nd gear on the TLR250 and the TLR200, 17/33 vs 16/33: same number of teeth on the CS pinion but they can't be the same pinion as the pitch circle diameter needs to be different.

Maybe the gear shafts are on a different pitch on the 200 and 250 engines (unlikely), or the cut of the teeth is different. If the teeth and the shaft pitches are the same then as you say the mesh wouldn't be right due to the pcd. Maybe the 26t gear is just catching the mesh, ie with a lot of backlash?

The shafts are on the same spacing (as kickstart gears are same teeth and PCD for TLR200 and 250). It looks like the 4th CS 26T pinion is a TLR200 item as is the 2nd gear CS 33T pinion judging by the the wear grooves halfway up the teeth on both 2nd gear pinions.

Now the search begins for the missing pinions to complete the cluster...