Which bike to buy for a return to trials..!?

andrewc

seconded on the 315r, love mine so much i bought another one!! very soft off the bottom,my 65 year old dad loves riding the spare bike and reckons its about perfect for a beginner/clubman itll do absolutely everything that you want it to and are capable of oh and absolutely bulletproof reliability ffs in 2 yrs all ive changed is a thermostat switch!

well my favourite would be the Beta rev 3, an 07 or 08 if budget allows, they are slightly better built than one or two of the others (no names as I will only be contradicited), had betas for three years (06 and 07) and once carb was sorted out neither missed a beat and both were easy to ride, especially for a returnee, great at sticking to a chosen line, not as easy to trick ride as say a gasser but that only matters when you move up in class and ability, the 07 one that I had was a great bike to own and ride.

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

Well, Im still looking!

Saw a 2005 gas gas at the weekend but it was a bit of a dog... so still looking.

Have seen an 07 Scorpa sy250 (yam tyz engine?). It looks a nice bike, does anyone have any further input on these? can they be competitive or am I better sticking with Beta or Gas Gas?

Also, The JTX 270 I was offered initially... well I went to have a look at it, and it is a minter for sure, but it does seem a lot bulkier than the newer bikes, which pretty much decided it for me. Also, it doesnt find neutral very easily, if at all... (as in you have to stop the bike and hunt for it)

Is that a sign the gearbox is knackered?!! (or the selection mechanism)?

cheers

Edited by andrewc
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to trials (1 year) and I've had three GG bikes in that time. In one year I have ridden hundreds of hours with lots of guys on different bikes including older bikes. The older GG JXT's are great bikes, in fact my uncles is INCREDIBLY well used and abused but still runs like a champ. It just keeps going and going and going….

My first bike was an 05 GG 300 and it to was BEAT, never babied, ridden hard by a big guy and used A LOT. Although very ugly this bike still performed flawlessly and the guy I sold it to is still riding the wheels off of it without incident. Long story short in my experience all the trials bikes are great, they all last a long time, they take an incredible beating and although brand loyalties reign there seems to be no "good choice", just "you're choice" From experience I'd just suggest buying the cleanest and newest bike you can get your hands on. Regardless of what bike you purchase you will have a great time riding it. BTW even my 2010 GG is hard to find neutral and some hunting is involved on occasion.

My mate has a JXT 270 and agin it is a very tough and capable machine.

If your thinking of sportsman/novice type routes why not get this a upgrade in time if you need a more "trick" bike?

My mate rides everything I do (I'm not amazing) without anymore drama than me. I have an 07 Rev3 200 which is light and easy to use and we have found nothing he can't get the JTX to do yet.

The gear box probably just needs an oil change. If it changes gear on the move ok and there are no nasty whines or rumbles it's probably fine.

Edited by pindie