DVLA - 1st reg

jam

The DVLA are now on the case regarding Trials/Enduro bikes 1st registrations. Had to explain after they said my insurance was not valid(Bennetts) as the Policy Exclusions stated - Use for Hiring, racing,pacemaking,speed testing, rallies, trials, competitions etc, I had to explain the trials element means 'Speed Trials' blah blah blah, then the insurance asked about the ignition key!!!!!!!!!!! what.............On a trials bike?

In the end after signing a disclaimer from the DVLA stating 'It will only be used 'Off Road' OR on closed roads as part of a competition or trial evant' also ' The vehicle does not comlpy with the construction and use regs and therefore cannot be used as an everyday vehicle for the highway' The reg should be completed and with me this week.

It looks like our days may be numbered!

Has anyone else had any issues of the same nature?

The DVLA are now on the case regarding Trials/Enduro bikes 1st registrations. Had to explain after they said my insurance was not valid(Bennetts) as the Policy Exclusions stated - Use for Hiring, racing,pacemaking,speed testing, rallies, trials, competitions etc, I had to explain the trials element means 'Speed Trials' blah blah blah, then the insurance asked about the ignition key!!!!!!!!!!! what.............On a trials bike?

In the end after signing a disclaimer from the DVLA stating 'It will only be used 'Off Road' OR on closed roads as part of a competition or trial evant' also ' The vehicle does not comlpy with the construction and use regs and therefore cannot be used as an everyday vehicle for the highway' The reg should be completed and with me this week.

It looks like our days may be numbered!

Has anyone else had any issues of the same nature?

It's a few years since I registered a trials bike, but all they did was check the engine and frame numbers and measure the ground clearance.

Ten mins later I was on my way home with a tax disc and a reg number.

I can see how the 'not for use in trials' clause on the insurance will give problems though!

Pete

If the bike is homologated (I think this means built to a standard fit for road use) there should be no problem. The new Sherco last year in this country was non homologated (basically diddn't have the rear no.plate & light assy..not sure about indicators & other bits) it makes the bike a few quid cheaper to buy. It may well be the insurance trials disclaimer bit that was your problem I know ther is no problem for example in France where every vehichle including trials bikes must be registered (Cart Gris must be on the vehicle) insurance is less than half the price it is here. Of course they dont have to pay road fund licence (TAX). You would think these people would be only to gratefull to have a job shuffling the paperwork and collecting the taxes; I think they find problems like this to creat a bigger in box of work for themselves/ Perhaps the ACU should sort it out so that we mere humans can understand the requirements in plain english...even better have a "pro forma" piece of paper to present to them setting out our obligations and rights in law it is after all the remit of the ACU to promote motorcycle sport in this country. At least we'll know for sure where we stand with these people. I have been considering the pros and cons of buying my next bike in France and insuring there etc. They hav'nt quite caught up with our culture of something for nothing.

Not neccessarily.....I.ve bought more than several new bikes in last ten years here in UK...you have to negotiate to get dealer to do it at cost and even then YOU have to supply the insurance cert. (which is not as cheap here; perhaps due to the trials exclusion bit in most insurance disclaimers). I think also the insurance companies use a "type aproval" system which drops many new bikes into thier grey import category...eg new Beta when it came along..not a rev 3 so its a grey import according to them. Is it down to the manufacturers or the importers to get this type approval sorted with the insurance companies?; the individual has no chance. Lets face it there are (for whatever reasons) only a few of us purchasers of new bikes who want to include road fund tax/registration/use.It is a peculiarity of UK that you are not oblidged to register field bikes which makes it a few quid cheaper to buy a new bike for most purchasers.The apparant lack of "representation" with the insurers and the tax collectors on our behalf seems to create the confusion and it may be because of this British peculiarity...ie if they/we insist on type aproval etc. etc. then everybody will be forced to register thier bike at time of purchase, many would argue that this isn't entirely a bad thing!.. I believe you can register it without taxing it in any case. I being cynical would expect manufacturers /importers/dealer..(the supply chain = 3 margins before you get the bike) to work to maximise thier margins. Grey areas are a good place to do this, it probably explains why few dealers publish a sale price... few importers want to represent the customer when warranty issues arise...few manufacturers want to use top quality materials for production. It being a leisure "industry" we the punters are often easily pleased with a few team this or that stickers..the basic human condition to want to belong to a tribe or group pre conditions us to fall into this rather than be objective (read objectionable if you like). I seem to have rambled off topic reading this back anyway what I'm saying is that there are grey areas where over time we lose track of what is and what isn't neccessary when we leave it to somebody else.

Perhaps straight questions would help;

Is there a reccomended retail price for every bike published?

Is this price an On the road price including Road fund licence logbook etc.?

Does it include warranty as per other european countries? (Beta 2 years Gas Gas & Sherco 1 year others I dont know about)

Why do new bikes/models not get onto the insurers type approval as soon as they are announced?

Who is responsible for that?.

What are the legal requirements for registration of new bike here in UK?

Wrong.......................its a UK bike, my decision to reg myself as some dealers are cr-p at it !

To be fair mate your not that good at it or this post would not be on here. I think the DVLA guy was right to question the fact that the insurance was not correct for the bike in the first place.

To be fair mate your not that good at it or this post would not be on here. I think the DVLA guy was right to question the fact that the insurance was not correct for the bike in the first place.

Maybe your right!!!????....................LOL :iamwithstupid:

Edited by jam