Just found the new Ossa 280i ? ? ? ?

toothandnail

Don't know where I've been the last year that I haven't seen this machine ! I guess UNDER a log :wacko:

Anyway , I am VERY interested in buying one for my next bike ,like in a couple months.

I am used to FI , we have been running it on our MX bikes and race quads since about 2002

Is there any way an individual can remap this bike? No dealer anywhere close , maybe 300 miles.

What is the parts avail in the US ?

How has the reliability been?

Anything else I need to know?

Edited by toothandnail

My understanding is a customer can't write there own map. It takes a diagnostic tool, it will tell you a few things, let you do some stuff, the importer can get maps from the factory.

The 2012 will be here soon I here. Parts are available from the couple of dealers here in the States or Canada. Info is available from the importers site for the bike and dealers.

My understanding is a customer can't write there own map. It takes a diagnostic tool, it will tell you a few things, let you do some stuff, the importer can get maps from the factory.

Can't see why you can't write your own map. It's just an array probably saved as a csv file or similar.

I'm really not interested in writing my own map , maybe just tweaking theirs a little , we've found some minor tweaks will make for much easier starting on our other FI machines.

Also the ability to change maps for different conditions , makes ALOT of difference on the race machines.

For example, we have a "traction" map for mud,which basically slows the power hit

a "torque" map for high traction

a "high RPM" for tracks that need a few Xtra rev's

a "dry slick" etc.

also we can make a hybrid of these as well , mild on the low end , WILD on the top. etc.

I thought, I read maps were DEALER installed only , which wouldn't work for me as any dealer would be at least 1300 miles away. I thought there was a dealer in Iowa ? about 300 miles. looks like maybe just on the coast's

Talking to So Cal OSSA dealer, Lewisport, he said the current scheme for them is to purchase an approximate $1000 programming unit to install a map. I know he doesn't have one of the programming units down south but Adrian may have it up north at Lewisport.

I am sure it is just a matter of time, market volume and interest before someone comes out with a non-factory programming tool and maps for the OSSA 280i. A laptop based mapping and tweaking tool might just be what the aftermarket tool would look like.

Ours for Cannondale is a laptop based program , you can tweak fuel settings at about any RPM through the range , also change max RPM (at your own risk). Works extremely well when doing other engine mods , just like changing jets/needle height in a carb only much easier and faster

Toothandnail you are correct in the laptop based program but the Ossa is not that way. If you have any questions call Adrian at Lewisport and he will be happy to answer your questions or Mike at the Tryals shop, both are excellent. I have had the oppertunity here in Oklahoma to look over one very closely.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the FI programming tools for OSSA in California. Adrian has it up north and Bill Merritt has it down in Los Angeles, both are LewisportUSA.

First 2012 model to be delivered to LA will be here in a week or so. Hope to at least get a look at it before it gets passed on to the local buyer.

• 3 weeks later...