2012 improvement?

basher

Im looking into a new bike ad I was going for a montesa. I orignally looked at ossa's but heard alot of negativity about the 2011 bikes, which over shadows the good points really.

ive read a few bits of topics but theres no real topic on 2012 bikes yet. is the 2012 a much better bike with all the previous problems being solved? or are there still issues that need addressing?

Im looking into a new bike ad I was going for a montesa. I orignally looked at ossa's but heard alot of negativity about the 2011 bikes, which over shadows the good points really.

ive read a few bits of topics but theres no real topic on 2012 bikes yet. is the 2012 a much better bike with all the previous problems being solved? or are there still issues that need addressing?

You are thinking exactly how I was about 2 months ago. I really liked the OSSA but was put off by all the issues I had read about, I also have always wanted a Montesa 4RT, so when it came to the crunch, I was very fortunate to get a go on a 4RT and was hooked and am now the proud owner of a 2012 Repsol Replica, I love it :-).

I think the 2012 OSSA has been sorted now, (although I have heard there's still a clutch problem and the factory bikes are eating gearboxes) but it looks a very nice bike and I think you'd be very happy if you bought one. The 2012 Mont has had some very minor mods (lighter rear wheel and different fuel map) and rides really nice with a 9/43 sprocket combination (which I think is a must do change from the first ride). No bike is perfect and everyone has their favourite, try them and buy what YOU like.

i think we are on same wave lenght or was.

ive been on the montesa and its such a stable bike but is alittle more less agile than 2 strokes. The thing that attracts me to the montesa is that in 5 years it'll proberly still be going strong. the ossa attracts me because of the agile suspension and quality workmanship and ideas that have gone into it.

my problem is i cant test either fully as i have a dislocated elbow im recovering from, i have no doubt ill proberly like both after a few rides but in essence i am buying in the dark.

I was all up for the OSSA, but what made my mind up was the test ride on the Mont, I just loved it, felt really comfortable and rock solid, the suspension is just superb and the motor is really nice. I've done about 14 hours on it now and I have no regrets what's so ever. I never got a go on the OSSA, and don't really want a go now, I'm sure its really nice, but it won't feel as good after a few years like the mont will. The bike I test rode, is an 08 and gets used 2 days a week every week, it's well used but well maintained and rides like a dream. It's had nothing go wrong, just gets the required service and oil changes, that's it, does have the obligatory 4RT trick bits though.

I would suggest you wait until your fit to try what your interested in if you can, but to be honest, these two bikes are like black and white, I cant imagine they'll feel in anyway similar and you may hate one and love the other.

Heads or Tales ? ;-)

JJ65

Care to explain your reasoning ? Can't quite figure that one out?

Please don't take things personally, or maybe your not ! I've had many 2 strokes and in my experience, the 2 stroke engines don't feel or sound nice after a season or two, there built to a price and quality isn't at the top of the priority list. I know the OSSA has only been out for a year, but the one I saw recently that was well used, didn't sound nice, but I could be wrong and the 280 could be the first new bike that's "quality" manufactured and lasts well. The shercos are a prime example, they look nice, but the engines sound awful after a while. The Mont's a quality bike and I haven't heard a bad one from the few I've seen, except possibly Rob Warners :-) which is thrashed to within an inch of its life every time he rides it, but, it's still going strong, which I hope Rob won't mind me saying, is a miracle ;-).

Basher asked the question and I responded with my opinion, I'm sure they'll be some OSSA owners along soon that will sing its praises and give their opinions too, which will be more qualified than mine will ever be, as I've never had one. The Mont is well known to be the best built trials bike and is very reliable, but probably not the best bike you can buy today, still a bloody good bike for your average rider.

There have been problems with the first years bikes, just like every other manufactures new bikes, but the 2012 OSSA bikes have had alot of new parts, so hopefully these will all be fixed now.

The main thing is personal preference, I wanted reliability, quality and ownership satisfaction. It makes me smile every time I ride it, I'm no expert, just a middle aged wobbler, who is out most Sundays to have a little fun with some mates. If Honda pull the plug on Montesa (which they could), you would still be able to get parts for years to come, if OSSA went bust tomorrow (which they possibly could in the current financial mess europes in) you might find it very difficult to get parts. It's a great bike made by a small company and is a relatively low volume seller (probably due to the price more than any other reason). Life would be boring if we all liked the same things.

Edited by JJ65

Don't worry no offence here :thumbup: , just thought it odd , saying a new bike would seem old in a year while a 4 year old bike would still feel new , just based on the name on the side.

I've not had your experiances with 2 stroke or 4's either , seems to me that it is mostly the maint. that causes any machine to go down faster than another , a little early in the Ossa's life to determine either way , all bikes I've had , have/had their own problems none have been perfect , although I haven't owned a Montesa yet :lol:

Edited by toothandnail

I am still curious to what issues they have had. Here they were hard to start, but now fine. The only other thing is that the clutch is heavier, but again this lightens up as everything beds in, same as the suspension which starts off rock hard but after a few hours is awesome. Not attacking anyone, just curious about what to look out for that could go wrong with my Ossa so i can prevent it.

My 2012 nothing went wrong so far since August ! You can not compare those others brands the oldies ! they are far behind ........

Ossa is the most high tech, and another level !

I said to the people's who wants try my ossa, don,t ask me do you need to switch on the fuel switch and lift up air choke before you going to start my bike !

This now going to 2012 ......

Hi there guys,just joined the forum and was chasing some info on the new (2012)Ossa tr-280i,just test rode one yesterday and loved it except the "clutch drag" was really severe! Didn't really affect the riding greatly but finding neutral was impossible, the dealer didn't seem to concerned about it but have seen it mentioned on several occasions on forums,i thought this may have been soughted on the 2012 model seeing that was one of the listed 2012 upgrades (new clutch plates),what oils have been tried or adjustments done to overcome this problem as i would love to buy one but not sure if i could put up with it the way it was.

On my 5th year on 4rts and love the fuel injection and quality of the bike. Ossa definately catches my eye as an engineer and the significant benefits of EFI. I have to confess I haven't ridden an Ossa but watched with interest. If history has any say in the matter then if still going strong after 3 years then definately worth a look. Currently I would say if you want one then have one but possibly still a risk. If you have seen local riders results significantly improve when switching to an Ossa then you have to weigh up results against risk of investment. They do howver when new look and sound to go well. Best you spend as much time as possible trying every alternative before you part with your cash.