sherpa footpegs

mur

hello guys thinking of replacing original foot pegs for wider ones, can anyone tell me where to buy and if welding is required must this be done with a MiG welder,and is this a difficult mod to do also when welding does the whole ignition system have to be removed or say the gubbins below the tank only(electronic ignition)thank you in advance Murray :rolleyes:

Hello mur, I`m not to sure on the footpegs but a common mod back in the day was to put Pursang footpegs on the Sherpa`s. They are not any wider but they are longer so more foot area. I have always just pulled the spark plug cap off when welding on a Bultaco of any type and never had any hassles. Good luck Bully Lover.

Hello mur, I`m not to sure on the footpegs but a common mod back in the day was to put Pursang footpegs on the Sherpa`s. They are not any wider but they are longer so more foot area. I have always just pulled the spark plug cap off when welding on a Bultaco of any type and never had any hassles. Good luck Bully Lover.

Electric welding can wreck electronic ignition so if you are having any welding done on it, disconnect the stator from the CDI and the CDI from the HT coil to be on the safe side (or just the stator from the HT coil if the coil is combined CDI/coil.

With points it doesn't matter.

As regards footrests, yes it was a mod to fit Pursang rests back in the day but footrests have come on a long way since then. They are a bit longer but don't offer any more grip to your boot as they are identical to Sherpa rests. Being longer there is more chance to snag them too. The only advantage is that they are a straight swap.

For modern rests, welding of some fashion will be required as they won't bolt straight on. Usually it involves cutting off the old mounts and welding on the new ones that go with whichever footrests you buy. Which, is personal choice - as is the positioning of them - same place or lower down level with the bashplate/frame tubes (you can't lower Bulto rests much anyway) Welding can be done by using MIG, TIG, ARC or brazing. Doesn't matter which.

thanks australia will keep an eye out for those , :thumbup:

If this is what you decide to get, remember if you're buying used rests, chances are they will be bent, pivots worn, serations for your boot grip will be smoothed off and they'll probably droop when fitted.

Electric welding can wreck electronic ignition so if you are having any welding done on it, disconnect the stator from the CDI and the CDI from the HT coil to be on the safe side (or just the stator from the HT coil if the coil is combined CDI/coil.

With points it doesn't matter.

As regards footrests, yes it was a mod to fit Pursang rests back in the day but footrests have come on a long way since then. They are a bit longer but don't offer any more grip to your boot as they are identical to Sherpa rests. Being longer there is more chance to snag them too. The only advantage is that they are a straight swap.

For modern rests, welding of some fashion will be required as they won't bolt straight on. Usually it involves cutting off the old mounts and welding on the new ones that go with whichever footrests you buy. Which, is personal choice - as is the positioning of them - same place or lower down level with the bashplate/frame tubes (you can't lower Bulto rests much anyway) Welding can be done by using MIG, TIG, ARC or brazing. Doesn't matter which.

:thumbup: well guys thanks for the input,one thing i know is am going to strip every bit of the electronic ignition out before any welding,doesn't look like its just a case of buying pegs and a simple wee weld job then, will have to have a wee think about it all ,thanks again that's what i like about the Internet there are guys with bultacos all round the world willing to chip in kind regards Murray :thumbup:

A cheaper alternative - if you're not bothered about altering the position.

Buy a used pair of 90's motocross rests from a Yamaha, Honda, KTM etc. Cut off the mounting pivots and discard, leaving just the footrest section itself.

Either using you own Sherpa rests, or a used pair from ebay, do the same - cut off the pivots leaving just the footrest section. This time however you want the pivot section so be careful how you cut it off.

Then, weld the Sherpa pivots to the motocross footrests. Now you have wide modern style rests which will fit straight onto your frame.

Example of suitable footrests here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-YZ-250-1999-Footpegs-Footrests-11461-13D-/110748554174?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item19c920d3be

• Like 1

has anyone tried making a plate which will weld/bolt on the frame enabling you to position foot pegs where ever you choose.

having the pegs lower would be good for me as i am a tall fella but will this effect the bike in an advers way i.e mess up the handling or front end grip?

If you go too far down or back it can have a negative affect on steering by putting you too far back in the bike (we're only talking an inch or two too far to make a difference)

The pegs on a Sherpa are quite low set as standard and not far above the bashplate/lower frame tubes on most bikes from Model 80. As a rule of thumb, when lowering pegs it isn't a good idea to go lower than the bashplate line as there is a risk of snagging them over obstacles/rocks/roots and it may take them lower than the line between the two spindles, considered a no-no and not good for handling. So on earlier bikes you can't lower them that much.

However, the later bikes 199a and b have massive ground clearance so you can get away with setting the pegs slightly below the level of the bashplate (I know this is normally a no-no but you can get away with it sometimes - I have on my 199b)

Unfortunately with the Bulto, because they are quite low on the front you are always going to feel a bit cramped if you're over 6'. Modifying the top yoke (or fitting different yokes) to take conventional clamps and bar risers can help the riding position

I have now carried out three footrest repositions on a 199A 199b and 199, all moved right down low and as far back as possible on the original flitch plates, using hangers sourced from Bultaco UK married to "Hebo" brand folding pegs.

The latest was the 199 which ace welder Richi Foss carried out and I think these will do the job nicely.

I'm 6 foot tall and when I rode the Sherpas back when I was young, I always had lower back pain, not any more, I rode several different Sherpas in Spain and all had lowerd and rearward rests, not a sore back with those.

Big John

(Yes I have a few Bultacos right enough!)

Edited by Big John

Well guys new foot pegs now on. They were sourced from Bultaco UK universal foot pegs with weld on brackets. I had to hacksaw the old knuckles off the bottom. I found the kick start side to be a wee bit awkward, I then welded in a stop plate to stop the kick start from wrapping on the foot peg but the other side was was fairly straightforward. It feels really good but we will see how it goes at the next trial. Thanks for all your help. :thumbup:

• 1 year later...