Handle bar grips

adam1

Hi all

As the post states really, Which hanle bar grips do people prefer? I use a renthal trials grip which i like but its the only one i have tried. I tend to crash a fair bit :blush: and go through a fair few sets,is there a better grip out there which is maybe a little tougher? :thumbup:

cheers Adam

The Domino grips are probably the toughest on the market, they have a soft outer so they are nice on the hands and the inner is made of a much harder compound so they don't get damaged as easy and even when they do they stay stuck on the bars.

They are more expensive than the Renthals but they do last longer so they may work out cheaper in the long run.

Also do you know Renthal grips come in 3 different compounds, soft, medium and hard, most people use the medium. If you hands can take it the hard compound should take a bit more abuse.

Hope this helps.

Chris

The Domino grips are probably the toughest on the market, they have a soft outer so they are nice on the hands and the inner is made of a much harder compound so they don't get damaged as easy and even when they do they stay stuck on the bars.

They are more expensive than the Renthals but they do last longer so they may work out cheaper in the long run.

Also do you know Renthal grips come in 3 different compounds, soft, medium and hard, most people use the medium. If you hands can take it the hard compound should take a bit more abuse.

Hope this helps.

cheers for the response Chris, i have just placed a order with you for some bits and bobs, shame i could of ordered some of those domino grips and given them a try!

will try some soon and give them a go! i dont suffer to much with my hands apart from getting cramp/arm pump so eventually cant hold on!

cheers Adam

hi

i use the renthal firm compound grips and have found that they are much tougher than the medium compound grip most people buy. if you wear gloves when riding i dont think you would notice that much difference. as far as arm pump/cramp is concerned ive been told to stay away from the domino grips as because they have the dual layer they are much thicker which causes more arm pump and cramp than a grip such as the renthals would, how true this is i dont know as ive never tried them. i know now that there is a pair of grips ( S3 grips maybe? ) which are alot thinner than other grips which is ment to cause less arm pump and cramping up, how good they would be for damage and wear i dont know with them been thinner

cheers

Coxy

Cheers for reply coxy

Adam, it seems to me the Dominos may well be good as stated, yet I have not tried them.

One of the biggest things that happens is tears on the ends of the grips, so one needs "bar ends" in ali or plastic or whatever. These provide a hard surface so the grips do not tear on a tipover.

Myself, like many, prefer the medium Renthal grips, as they are thin and tacky to the glove, yet the installation of bar ends to these can be a bit of a chore, as one cannot just simply cut the ends out with a knife or even a razor as the sharp edges left will lead to ripping of the grip.

The solution to this requires some time and patience using the small sanding drum on a Dremel tool to carefully work out the end of the grip to the proper dimention so the bar ends fit, the throttle end does not drag and so fourth. It is a pain, but it does work. It sands away the rubber gently rather than tearing and with the hard ends, they are then protected. You need to keep mud /dirt entry to a minimum as compared to a closed end grip, so it needs to be near perfect fitment!

Like most stuff, there are trade offs! :thumbup:

Adam, it seems to me the Dominos may well be good as stated, yet I have not tried them.

One of the biggest things that happens is tears on the ends of the grips, so one needs "bar ends" in ali or plastic or whatever. These provide a hard surface so the grips do not tear on a tipover.

Myself, like many, prefer the medium Renthal grips, as they are thin and tacky to the glove, yet the installation of bar ends to these can be a bit of a chore, as one cannot just simply cut the ends out with a knife or even a razor as the sharp edges left will lead to ripping of the grip.

The solution to this requires some time and patience using the small sanding drum on a Dremel tool to carefully work out the end of the grip to the proper dimention so the bar ends fit, the throttle end does not drag and so fourth. It is a pain, but it does work. It sands away the rubber gently rather than tearing and with the hard ends, they are then protected. You need to keep mud /dirt entry to a minimum as compared to a closed end grip, so it needs to be near perfect fitment!

Like most stuff, there are trade offs! :thumbup:

just cant get on with bar ends.

Edited by Nigel Dabster

I was reading this and was about to post the same comment as Cope ... I've found (after destroying many grips )That the Trials Shops in house grips last the best for me . With bar ends and a aluminum domino throttle tube ,along with the bearing bar end (which took some dremel work to fit into the metal tube correctly) . I have no issue's with grips spinning and /or tearing from me crashing or leaning the bike against a tree or rock as always happens when walking the sections ...

Glenn :iamwithstupid:

as far as arm pump/cramp is concerned ive been told to stay away from the domino grips as because they have the dual layer they are much thicker which causes more arm pump and cramp than a grip such as the renthals would, how true this is i dont know as ive never tried them.

The new Domino grips measure the same as the Renthals when fitted, so this should no longer be a problem.

The older Domino grips were a little thicker but I really liked this once I got used to it as offered a little more cushioning. I've never really had any problems with arm pump so it didn't cause me a problem but I guess it probably depend on the size of your hands.

• 2 months later...