Steering head bearings M80

Johnny

Hello everyone. I've just bought myself an M80 which I am hoping to get sorted so that I can do a few trials this winter. I had a couple of Bultos when I was a keen young lad in the seventies, and have a soft spot for them!

I have been looking at some of the posts to get advice on what to look for and how to sort things. Its been really useful. Clearly some of you guys know your Bultos.

One thing I have not been able to find is how to remove the lower steering head bearing cup. I've tried heating it up and tapping it up the stem but the dust cover is starting to distort and there's no sign of it moving. Any advice? Also any other advice specific to rebuilding this model would be great.

Cheers

Either:

Find someone with a press, press out the steering stem from the bottom yoke which will also remove the cup, then press it back in

Or

Use an angle grinder, or suchlike, and grind a section out of the cup which will release the tension and it will slide off easily. Just be careful not to grind into the dust cover or the steeing stem itself, although a small nick isn't going to hurt.

Replace te bearings with taper rollers from Pyramid Parts as they do a taper roller that fits properly and without the need to modify the top nut.

Hello everyone. I've just bought myself an M80 which I am hoping to get sorted so that I can do a few trials this winter. I had a couple of Bultos when I was a keen young lad in the seventies, and have a soft spot for them!

I have been looking at some of the posts to get advice on what to look for and how to sort things. Its been really useful. Clearly some of you guys know your Bultos.

One thing I have not been able to find is how to remove the lower steering head bearing cup. I've tried heating it up and tapping it up the stem but the dust cover is starting to distort and there's no sign of it moving. Any advice? Also any other advice specific to rebuilding this model would be great.

Cheers

Use a good! chisel and carefully drive the chisel in the gap, takes some time and has to be done in small steps all around, this worked for me not leaving any visible marks.

When you have a 2mm gap use a small crowbar for the remaining.