Complete noob chain question

sharkbait

My, new to me, 315 has come with 11t front/38t rear sprockets and the chain looks pretty tired - I'm pretty sure these sprockets are not good to learn on!

So I'm going to buy new (10/42) sprockets/chain and I was wondering if I will need to shorten the chain from new or is it going to be the correct length ?- 'cos I haven't got a chain tool :(

My, new to me, 315 has come with 11t front/38t rear sprockets and the chain looks pretty tired - I'm pretty sure these sprockets are not good to learn on!

So I'm going to buy new (10/42) sprockets/chain and I was wondering if I will need to shorten the chain from new or is it going to be the correct length ?- 'cos I haven't got a chain tool :(

Get a link & a half and a spare split link too, that will give you plenty of room to play around.

4 inch angle grinder and a centre-punch works for me!

Cheers

Bill

Its very simple to do. Make sure you are cutting the correct link by fitting the new sprockets, slacken off the rear wheel and wind the chain adjusters in but not all the way in, leave about 10mm if they are the bolt type or set them to around number 5 if they are the snail type, then tighten the rear wheel spindle. Feed the chain onto the sprockets leaving one end about half way round the rear sprocket. Overlap the other end of the chain and carefully mark the link you need to split. Check its is all sat on the sprockets correctly, and check again, and again, and once more!! Take the chain off the sprockets. Using a grinder (either angle, bench, or a grindstone in a drill) remove the rivited parts of the link. If you have a vice, place the chain at 90degrees to the jaws, open the vice so it is just wider than the link. Then use a centre punch or pin punch and a hammer to knock the link through the gap in the vice jaws. Then fit it and ride!! Hope that helps.

Its very simple to do. Make sure you are cutting the correct link by fitting the new sprockets, slacken off the rear wheel and wind the chain adjusters in but not all the way in, leave about 10mm if they are the bolt type or set them to around number 5 if they are the snail type, then tighten the rear wheel spindle. Feed the chain onto the sprockets leaving one end about half way round the rear sprocket. Overlap the other end of the chain and carefully mark the link you need to split. Check its is all sat on the sprockets correctly, and check again, and again, and once more!! Take the chain off the sprockets. Using a grinder (either angle, bench, or a grindstone in a drill) remove the rivited parts of the link. If you have a vice, place the chain at 90degrees to the jaws, open the vice so it is just wider than the link. Then use a centre punch or pin punch and a hammer to knock the link through the gap in the vice jaws. Then fit it and ride!! Hope that helps.

Nice one, thanks guys :)