Safety wire throttle cable

bogwheeler

Has anyone ever safety wired their throttle cable at both ends? I've had mine pulled out by a tree branch with a WFO splatter into a tree as the result. Today I was test riding a pair of 16mm bar risers on my 07 Sherco when the throttle opened up as I come out of a left turn. The cable is still routed as from the factory and appears to have enough slack, but the slight rise in the handlebars must have been enough to pull the cable end out. So why not just safety wire the cable ends to hold them in place?

If something snags the cable without safety wiring, the outer can pull out of position and may return on its own or with some assistance, but the outer does not see a tension loading (the inner takes the tension load).

If the outer is safety wired and then is snagged, the outer may be stretched which would probably leave no options for continuing riding as outers cannot be recompressed once stretched.

If something snags the cable without safety wiring, the outer can pull out of position and may return on its own or with some assistance, but the outer does not see a tension loading (the inner takes the tension load).

If the outer is safety wired and then is snagged, the outer may be stretched which would probably leave no options for continuing riding as outers cannot be recompressed once stretched.

Yes,you are correct,but right now the only tension that holds the the cable and jacket in place is the slide spring in the carburetor. And It really doesn't take much of a tug to pull the jacket out of its nest at either end. And yes, Its easily returned to its position, I'm just trying to avoid that WFO splatter into a tree when it gets snagged/pulled. Its a real eye opener to have your bike leap forward while you're holding the throttle closed!!

Yes,you are correct,but right now the only tension that holds the the cable and jacket in place is the slide spring in the carburetor. And It really doesn't take much of a tug to pull the jacket out of its nest at either end. And yes, Its easily returned to its position, I'm just trying to avoid that WFO splatter into a tree when it gets snagged/pulled. Its a real eye opener to have your bike leap forward while you're holding the throttle closed!!

We used to tape the ends to the twistgrip body in the days of the big loop of cable as original fitment but really all that did was stop it going back in when it got pulled so not very worthwhile.

I don't think I've had a problem with snagging since we went to the modern style of twistgrip but from the sound of it your issue will only be solved by a longer cable or re-routing. No matter how you tie it, if you are going to get a snag, then it will overcome any wiring in.

Right then, that is why they ride with the other finger in the clutch! :thumbup:

The Domino throttle is designed so that if the throttle gets stuck wide open in a crash or anything else, the throttle cable can be ripped out of the throttle housing (sending the cover flying)it's a sfety thing why the throttle is designed the way it is. I too have had my cable grabbed by a branch, but had my finger on the clutch, so no big deal.

The Domino throttle is designed so that if the throttle gets stuck wide open in a crash or anything else, the throttle cable can be ripped out of the throttle housing (sending the cover flying)it's a sfety thing why the throttle is designed the way it is. I too have had my cable grabbed by a branch, but had my finger on the clutch, so no big deal.

What he said. :agreed: