First bike?

robbybobby

I'm preparing to purchace my first bike but I'm not educated in the way of the mototrial...

There are so many options out there and id like my choice to be sound when i finally make my purchase.

I've read through the forum and caught some of the good and bad of different brands but I'm still unsure what kind of things to take into consideration.

At this point I have my eye on an 09 Gasgas 250 pro and a Sherco 290 same year. Both owners are asking $4900 dollars. Which bike is stocked with better components or is just better in general? They are both in great shape. Do they have different geometry or do all bikes ride similar? The Sherco has a bigger motor but I'm thinking maybe the gasgas has better components plus it has brand new tires and pads. I don't know :-(

I'm preparing to purchace my first bike but I'm not educated in the way of the mototrial...

There are so many options out there and id like my choice to be sound when i finally make my purchase.

I've read through the forum and caught some of the good and bad of different brands but I'm still unsure what kind of things to take into consideration.

At this point I have my eye on an 09 Gasgas 250 pro and a Sherco 290 same year. Both owners are asking $4900 dollars. Which bike is stocked with better components or is just better in general? They are both in great shape. Do they have different geometry or do all bikes ride similar? The Sherco has a bigger motor but I'm thinking maybe the gasgas has better components plus it has brand new tires and pads. I don't know :-(

Its really just a matter of value and preference. Its best to have a good ride on both bikes and see which one grabs you. Both bikes have extremely high capability, so its more about you. Do you prefer the clutch on one vs the other? The feel of the rider compartment. Are you more confident on one vs the other? I would also factor in what bike has the best local support as a secondary consideration. Additionally, I prefer to buy bikes that have been gently ridden - usually more senior riders that compete in a lower class and dont ride much.

Try and take them for a ride as one could be horrible to ride and you might not get on with it. I love my sherco 250 although it's a bit snappy with its power. Its also very light to steer and maneuver.

My mates Ossa 280 is more gentle lower down in the revs and it's suspension is superb but I can't get on with it's clutch.

I recently rode a 2010 Gas Gas 300 and it was very doughy and soft in the power, I found it nice, but compared to my 250 it felt like there was less "instant" power and it came on softer and smoother. It felt heavier in the front but more stable than my sherco.

One thing is for sure, Sherco's do seem to have one of the lightest and nicest clutches around, I haven't found anything that's anywhere near as nice as the sherco clutches.

Cheers

Edited by Samy

I would preffer a 250 but the Sherco is actually a bit cheaper and has less hours on it. The guy with the gasgas is local though and the tires are literally brand new. I don't really know a lot about susp and brakes and stuff though. Shercos use the same motor as the older gasgas bikes no? Which bike has better components? Weight?

My preference as a starter bikle is a 200. I originally bought a Raga 300 as it looked nice! It was a nightmare. After years of enduro and road racing bikes I thought "it's only a 300". How wrong I was.

I now have an 07 rev 3 200. There is nothing I can't get up/down and there is no weight, does not wear you out, not scary, very controllable and am chuffed to bits with it.

I am the upper end of my 30's now (ahem) and find with the 200 I am happy to tackle things that on the 300 meant almost certain death or lunar orbit. I also seem to be able to "clean" all the bits I dabbed on the 300.

You need fitness, skill and balls for the 300. Smalley250 is right with the 1000cc analogy.

Well I checked out the 08 Sherco today and it is pretty much new. It doesn't even have a scuff! It also comes with a brand new, in the box matching helmet and extra maintainence stuff. Seems like a good deal to me. I never tried riding the gasgas when i went and looked at it... Hmmm.

First look at local service and support.

Then think over if are you going to change the bike after one season and where are you going to ride (rocks or enduro in part).

Sherco: better clutch, Gas Gas 6x gear box.

In my case it was sherco 290 '09, i ride second season, more 'soft grass then rocks' in forest and old sand mining fields, I'm not going to change the bike soon. In my - it was good choise.

But my neighbour has gas gas 250 '06.

'Every bird looks after his tail' :icon_salut:

M.